GOP activist apologizes after likening Michelle Obama to a gorilla on FacebookJune 15th, 2009 - 3:48 pm ICT by ANI
New York, June 15 (ANI): After jokingly comparing America’s First Lady Michelle Obama to an escaped gorilla on Facebook, a prominent South Carolina Republican was forced to kill his Facebook page, and apologize.
Commenting on a report posted to Facebook about a gorilla escape at a zoo in Columbia, longtime GOP activist Rusty DePass wrote: “I’m sure it’s just one of Michelle’s ancestors - probably harmless.”
South Carolina political blogger and a former gubernatorial spokesman, Will Folks, busted DePass’s remark, which later forced the Republican to apologize.
“‘Humor’ like this is nothing new for South Carolina Republicans - even as the party claims to be focusing on ‘outreach’ efforts to minorities. The fact that Palmetto Republicans don’t get that this is a serious problem for them baffles us,” the Daily News quoted him, as saying.
DePass finally apologized for his remarks on WIS-TV in Columbia: “I am as sorry as I can be if I offended anyone. The comment was clearly in jest.”
“The comment was hers, not mine,” he added, claiming Michelle Obama made a recent remark about humans descending from apes.
Columbia’s mayor asked DePass to apologize properly.
“The comment is reprehensible. There’s nothing funny about it. What he needs to do is simply apologize in a straightforward manner,” said Democratic Mayor Bob Coble.
DePass, former chairman of the Richland County GOP, was an early backer of George W. Bush, and co-chairman of Rudy Giuliani’s 2008 campaign in Richland County.
Eric Davis, the current chairman of the Richland County Republicans, said his predecessor should get a pass.
“Everyone says stupid things they regret later. I think the world should move on,” he said. (ANI)
- Nikki Haley hit by Time, Twitter (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- South Carolina's Most Powerful Lawmaker Defends His Picture With People In 'Slave Garb' - Sep 17, 2010
- Eight arrested in Michael Phelps pot puffing scandal - Feb 11, 2009
- Nikki Haley skips White House dinner to meet friends - Feb 28, 2012
- Nikki Haley to rule largely white South Carolina - Nov 03, 2010
- 'Dirty' Asian shops? Former Washington mayor under fire - Apr 07, 2012
- GOP leader slams colleague for Obama-chimpanzee email - Apr 17, 2011
- "Slave Garb" Picture Reminds People Of Slavery, South Carolina Lawmaker Defends His Action - Sep 17, 2010
- South Carolina want to partner with India: Nikki Haley - Mar 02, 2012
- Mitt Romney visits South Carolina - May 23, 2011
- Nikki Haley on Newsweek cover - Jul 17, 2010
- Christopher Lee's Resignation Sends Waves In US Political Circle - Feb 10, 2011
- Rising GOP star Sanford admits being unfaithful to wife - Jun 25, 2009
- Indian-American Nikki Haley wins Republican nomination in South Carolina - Jun 23, 2010
- Sarah Palin To Miss CPAC This Year Too - Feb 04, 2011
Tags: backer, blogger, co chairman, county gop, county republicans, democratic mayor, eric davis, facebook, george w bush, gorilla escape, mayor bob coble, michelle obama, outreach efforts, palmetto, richland county, rudy giuliani, south carolina republicans, straightforward manner, stupid things, wis tv