Googles Map Maker set to showcase India in microscopic detailOctober 4th, 2008 - 1:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 4 (ANI): Within weeks of Googles Map Maker launch, tens of thousands of Indians have marked details of their cities, towns and villages, many of them previously blank spaces in even the most up-to-date atlases.
Map Maker, created by an Indian, Lalitesh Katragadda, is a tool that would allow users annotate and amend satellite images to produce useful maps.
Now, the technology is being extended to other information-deficient regions, such as Africa, and is viewed as the future of map-making. The tool may in fact turn out to be worth billions for Google in advertising revenues.
Weve seen a fantastic emotional interplay emerge. People want to map their favourite restaurants, their old school classrooms. This is going to fill in a big piece of the geo-web puzzle, Times Online quoted Katragadda, as saying.
Google has claimed that it is specifically focussing on hyper-growth countries such as India, where maps are changing daily.
Already, there exist a number of websites that let users to amend online maps.
Some bloggers have accused Google of apeing non-profit projects such as OpenStreetMap. org, which places fewer restrictions on how collected information can be used.
However, Google claims that its enormous online reach gives it an edge over others of hitting critical mass.
Katragadda said that its map service has already achieved what his team calls the genesis effect, the point at which the wealth of data captured attracts a rush of users to the map site, who in turn plug in more information. (NAI)
- Pak netizens post more data to Google Map Maker than other 160 country counterparts - May 23, 2009
- Apple to drop Google Maps from upcoming mobile platform - May 12, 2012
- Unesco calls for girls access to primary education - Mar 06, 2012
- Visit Mexican museums, archaeological sites via Google - Jan 30, 2011
- Researchers call for mapping of neglected tropical diseases - Jul 28, 2010
- China examines Google's mapping request - Feb 02, 2012
- Google maps ancient Arctic village - Aug 23, 2012
- Google buying social sharing firm Meebo - Jun 05, 2012
- Google Building Maker launched - Oct 14, 2009
- Google to offer street view of Indian cities soon - May 26, 2011
- China launches own Google mapping service - Oct 22, 2010
- Google enables Indians to build maps of their villages, cities - Sep 21, 2008
- Now, Google tracking our each online move? - Mar 29, 2012
- Google unveils social network to challenge Facebook - Jun 29, 2011
- China launches online map service - Oct 22, 2010
Tags: advertising revenues, annotate, blank spaces, bloggers, critical mass, genesis effect, geo web, google, hyper growth, interplay, katragadda, launch, map maker, microscopic detail, old school, online maps, satellite images, school classrooms, that would allow users, worth billions