Google increases share of US searchesMay 23rd, 2008 - 12:18 pm ICT by admin
San Francisco, May 23 (DPA) Google increased its share of US Internet search traffic in April, as its two closest rivals Yahoo and Microsoft failed to reach an agreement on a merger that might have helped them cut the company’s lead. According to figures released Thursday by researcher ComScore the company handled 61.6 percent of search queries in April, compared with 59.8 percent in March. Yahoo had 20.4 percent of searches, down from 21.3 percent, while Microsoft’s share slipped to 9.1 percent from 9.4 percent.
The results underscored the challenge facing Microsoft and Yahoo in attempting to thwart Google’s dominance of online advertising and software.
Microsoft broke off its takeover talks with Yahoo May 3 after the online portal rejected its $47.5 billion offer as undervaluing the company. Microsoft Wednesday launched a new search initiative called Cashback which grants users a six percent rebate if they buy products they find through the company’s Live Search application.
- Yahoo to acquire Interclick for $270 mn - Nov 02, 2011
- Yahoo's search migrates to Microsoft - Aug 25, 2010
- Google, Bing sidelining Yahoo in search market - Dec 18, 2009
- Microsoft offers rebates to boost its search engine use - May 22, 2008
- Nielsen: Bing is the Number 2 Search Engine in the US, Yahoo is number 3rd - Sep 15, 2010
- Microsoft, Yahoo join forces to challenge Google (Third Lead, changing dateline) - Jul 29, 2009
- Yahoo co-founder Jerry Yang steps down (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Google has one billion users - Jun 22, 2011
- Google Continues To Rule Internet Search - Aug 22, 2010
- Yahoo CEO firing shocks the corporate world - Sep 08, 2011
- Google to become top online ad seller in US by 2013 - Feb 23, 2012
- Yahoo, Microsoft link up in challenge to Google (Second Lead) - Jul 29, 2009
- Yahoo Inc Lays Off 600 Employees - Dec 15, 2010
- Yahoo, Microsoft reach search and ad partnership (Lead) - Jul 29, 2009
- Yahoo Ascends in 2010 After Reports Of Buyout Keenness In KKR - Nov 10, 2010
Tags: cashback, company microsoft, dominance, dpa, google, initiative, internet search, merger, microsoft, researcher, rivals, san francisco, search application, search queries, search traffic, software microsoft, takeover talks, yahoo