Google Earth helped lead-tile thief on runaway robbery spree!March 16th, 2009 - 2:11 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 16 (ANI): A thief stole 100,000 pounds worth of lead from the roofs of buildings using Google Earth.
By using the popular Internet tool, which shows aerial photographs of towns across the world, Tom Berge was able to identify museums, churches and schools across south London with lead roof tiles.
After the 27-year-old builder found a potential target on his home computer he would scale its roof, take the valuable roof materials and abseil down the side of the building, before selling the lead to scrap metal dealers. Honeywood Museum in Carshalton, Sutton High School for Girls and Croydon Parish Church are among the buildings that he looted in a six-month spree.
“He sat at home at scoured south London for targets with just a few clicks of the mouse, the Telegraph quoted a friend of Berge, from Sutton, south London, as saying.
“He homed in on all sorts of buildings - many of them listed. “He could tell the lead roofs apart on Google Earth as they were slightly darker than normal,” the friend added.
Berge was arrested in February and pleaded guilty to theft at Sutton magistrates court last week.
He was sentenced to an eight-month suspended jail term, given 100 hours of community service and put on curfew. (ANI)
- Pak Test fixer Majeed's pal commits suicide over losses following spot-fixing scandal - Oct 04, 2010
- Ikea's racism row over employment of security guards - Jun 13, 2012
- Woman, 96, dies preparing for 70ft abseil - Jul 30, 2012
- Goa's grand old church to go green, shed asbestos - Jun 18, 2012
- Meteorite strikes a family's home in Paris - Oct 11, 2011
- Google's eye in sky could catch you with pants down - Jun 11, 2012
- Fire destroys Shillong church, short circuit suspected - Jan 02, 2012
- Disagreement over plans to build 3,700 homes in T.S. Eliot's village - Mar 11, 2011
- Now, any UK couple can wed in church where Liz Hurley tied the knot - Jul 14, 2010
- Multi-billionaire Madonna's brother is homeless - Oct 23, 2011
- Google unveils new ultra-high speed internet - Jul 27, 2012
- Visit Mexican museums, archaeological sites via Google - Jan 30, 2011
- 'Repentant' Manu Sharma donates Rs.5 mn to Missionaries of Charity - Dec 25, 2011
- Customs officials arrest UK bookie again over money launder charges - Sep 01, 2010
- Thieves who taunted cops on YouTube jailed - Sep 06, 2010
Tags: abseil, aerial photographs, all sorts, berge, carshalton, croydon parish church, google, home computer, internet tool, jail term, magistrates court, robbery spree, roof materials, roof tiles, roofs, south london, sutton high school, target, thief, tile