Google avoids a Bush on Obama, defuses “bomb” in a few days, not years!January 31st, 2009 - 4:00 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan.31 (ANI): It took four years for Google to address the “Google bomb” that was lobbed at former President Bush, but just a few days to defuse the same attack on President Obama.
Four years versus a few days … Some Googlers are asking why.
In 2003, President Bush’’s detractors successfully gamed the Google search engine by arranging to have countless Web sites link the words “miserable failure” to Bush’’s official biography on the White House Web site.
The result was that when someone typed the search term “miserable failure” into the Google search box, Bush’’s biography rose to the top of the search results.
And, according to Fox News, that’’s how it stayed until 2007, when Google developed an algorithm to detect what became known as “Google bombs” and re-directed the term “miserable failure” to non-political pages.
Unfortunately for Obama, “miserable failure” reverted back to his biography when he moved into the White House. The new president was also Google-bombed with the phrase “cheerful achievement.”
But this time, Google stepped in quickly, rectifying the situation in a few days, instead of four years.
The difference in time did not go unnoticed.
“You let this go on for the entire Bush administration,” a reader named w3bgrrl wrote on a Google blog. “But since you bought the White House for Obama, you don”t want your candidates harmed … And your claims not withstanding, even liberals know you”re liberal.”
But another writer, Mikkel deMib Svendsen, gave Google the benefit of the doubt.
“I do think many of [Google employees] are liberals but I am also 100% confident that the large majority of them are also very professional people that take the job of creating a good and unbiased search engine very, very seriously,” he wrote.(ANI)
- Google to include personal email in web search results - Aug 09, 2012
- Microsoft launches TV campaign to challenge Google - Sep 07, 2012
- Hillary Clinton praises Al-Jazeera as "real news" - Apr 18, 2011
- Knowledge Graph: Google unleashes the Big Boy - May 17, 2012
- Google unveils social network to challenge Facebook - Jun 29, 2011
- Now, Google tracking our each online move? - Mar 29, 2012
- What's happening to your Google search engine? - Sep 20, 2010
- Google launches 'cloud' service - Apr 25, 2012
- Reagan on Obama's holiday reading list (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- Google axes five products - Jul 04, 2012
- Obama presidency proving to be 'Clinton's third term': Newt Gingrich - Jan 22, 2011
- Google glasses offer email, video chat - Apr 05, 2012
- Bush to unveil his portrait in White House - May 19, 2012
- Google Red Faced Over Michelle Obama Controversial Picture - Nov 26, 2009
- Google launches custom tailored search feature - Aug 13, 2011
Tags: algorithm, benefit of the doubt, bush administration, countless web, detractors, difference in time, few days, former president bush, fox news, google, google bombs, google search engine, googlers, liberals, miserable failure, new president, president bush, search box, svendsen, white house web site