Google announces cloud-computing serviceJune 29th, 2012 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, June 29 (IANS) Google has announced Compute Engine, a cloud-computing service that allows businesses to run their applications on servers in the tech giant’s data center.
“We’re introducing Google Compute Engine, an infrastructure-as-a-service product that lets you run Linux Virtual Machines on the same infrastructure that powers Google,” said Google in its official blog Thursday.
According to the company, the economy of scale and efficiency of its data centers can provide users 50 percent more computing power than other leading cloud providers, reported Xinhua.
Industry watchers said Google Compute Engine will compete and challenge the leading position of Amazon Web Services, which was launched in July, 2002.
Google has been building a huge amount of data centers to support its own services and applications over the last decade.
In 2008, it started to open up its infrastructure to outside developers and businesses, launching services like Google App Engine to allow users to build applications and websites, and store and analyze data on its servers.
Also Thursday, Google introduced Chrome web browser for Apple’s iOS platform, offline editing for Google Docs and retail selling of Chromebooks at Best Buy.
- Google launches 'cloud' service - Apr 25, 2012
- Apple releases preview of new Mac operating system - Feb 17, 2012
- Wipro joins Google's cloud platform - Aug 27, 2012
- Google Chrome is third most popular browser - Aug 01, 2011
- Google Chrome Turns 2 Years Old, Gets A New Version - Sep 04, 2010
- Google to ditch support for older Internet browsers - Jun 07, 2011
- Now internet users can watch who is spying on them - Mar 02, 2012
- Microsoft to invest around $2.5 billion in Indonesia - Jan 22, 2011
- Apple releases iTunes Match - Nov 15, 2011
- Google Resolves Several Problems For Chrome In New Version - Aug 22, 2010
- Apple removes spam message app from App Store - Jul 06, 2012
- Apple's iCloud fetches deals with major record labels - Jun 03, 2011
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Scientists develop tool to step up software security - Jul 23, 2012
- New Google Ebooks Available On Cloud-Based Technology - Dec 07, 2010
Tags: amazon web, apple, best buy, computing power, computing service, developers, economy of scale, efficiency, giant, google, infrastructure, ios, june 29, last decade, retail selling, san francisco, servers, virtual machines, web browser, xinhua