Google accuses China of interfering with Gmail systemsMarch 21st, 2011 - 2:41 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar.21 (ANI): Search giant Google has accused China of interfering with the operations of the company’s famous Gmail services.
Gmail customers in China have complained during the past month of experiencing problems with the e-mail service, including difficulty in sending e-mails and marking them as unread, in addition to other issues.
Google set up an application to help people find relatives and friends lost in the Japan disaster, this service too seems to have been compromised, The Guardian reports.
“Relating to Google there is no issue on our side. We have checked extensively. This is a government blockage carefully designed to look like the problem is with Gmail,” said a Google spokesman.
The revelations follow a blog posted by Google on March 11, in which the firm said it had “noticed some highly targeted and apparently politically motivated attacks against our users. We believe activists may have been a specific target.”
The posting said the attacks were targeting vulnerability in Microsoft’s Internet Explorer web browser. The two firms have been working to address the issue.
Tensions between China and the search giant have been smoldering since Google disclosed the theft of intellectual property disclosed in January 2010.
It revealed that Google and atleast 20 other companies were the victims of a “highly sophisticated and targeted attack” aimed at gathering information about Chinese human rights activists.
Google first opened its business in China in 2005. But after announcing that it had been hacked in January last year the company said it was no longer prepared to censor its search results and moved its operations to Hong Kong. (ANI)
- Google launches 'cloud' service - Apr 25, 2012
- Top US officials' gmail hit by Chinese phishing - Jun 02, 2011
- Google's email service faces glitch - Feb 28, 2011
- Now, Google tracking our each online move? - Mar 29, 2012
- Iranian state backed hackers accused of attacking online security systems to pry on opposition - Mar 25, 2011
- Gmail outage affects tens of millions of users worldwide - Apr 18, 2012
- Now internet users can watch who is spying on them - Mar 02, 2012
- Google accidentally wipes accounts of 150,000 Gmail users - Mar 01, 2011
- Cyber attack targeted Google password system - Apr 20, 2010
- Google buys email management software provider - Jul 21, 2012
- Microsoft web browser faces security risk - Feb 01, 2011
- Google brand awareness soars in China after pull-out threat - Jan 20, 2010
- Google to ditch support for older Internet browsers - Jun 07, 2011
- Google fails to meet China's deadline to apply for online mapping services - Mar 31, 2011
- 900m Internet Explorer users at risk as Microsoft warns of security flaw - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,