Golden Triangle nations still major drug source: ChinaJune 26th, 2012 - 6:42 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 26 (IANS) Golden Triangle, an area between Myanmar, Laos and Thailand, is still a major source of drugs in China, the government said Tuesday.
The revelation was made in a report submitted by Public Security Minister Meng Jianzhu to a bimonthly legislative session opened Tuesday, Xinhua reported.
Chinese police have seized tonnes of heroin and other drugs smuggled from the region last year, the report said.
Police have also registered over 220 drug trafficking cases originating in the Golden Crescent area, Asia’s another major illicit opium production hub, in 2011.
The ‘crescent’ is located at the crossroads of the Central, South and Western Asia, and includes Afghanistan, the world’s largest opium producer.
The report noted that the task of tackling drug crimes has become increasingly arduous.
June 26 is observed as the International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
- Lives in peril: Inside Manipur's drug zone - Dec 13, 2011
- Three Myanmar soldiers killed in Mekong river clash - Dec 12, 2011
- Afghan opium production up by 61 percent - Oct 11, 2011
- Opium cultivation on the rise in Golden Triangle - Dec 14, 2009
- India among top drugs hotspots: UN report (Lead) - Mar 02, 2011
- India major target for money launderers, terrorists: US report - Mar 04, 2011
- Abuse of synthetic drugs on rise: UN report - Jun 24, 2011
- Iran hangs dozens of drug peddlers - Jan 30, 2011
- UN to support Mizoram in dealing with HIV/AIDS - Sep 02, 2010
- Thai drug organization blamed for killing 13 crew members on Chinese cargo ships - Oct 11, 2011
- One ton drugs seized in Iran - Jun 24, 2012
- Farmer arrested with 12 kg opium in Delhi - Jun 27, 2012
- Massive amounts of drugs seized in Afghanistan - Sep 13, 2012
- China pledges $1 mn for Pakistan security agencies - Sep 28, 2011
- Chinese police bust drug ring - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: china beijing, chinese police, crossroads, drug abuse, drug crimes, drug source, drug trafficking, golden crescent, golden triangle, heroin, illicit opium, international day against drug abuse and illicit traffi, legislative session, meng, opium producer, opium production, public security, security minister, western asia, xinhua