Goan footballer chosen for Gary Lineker scholarshipApril 22nd, 2009 - 4:18 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 22 (IANS) A young footballer from Goa has been chosen to kick off the first Gary Lineker Football Scholarship.
Lesten Martins, 15, who will travel to Britain Thursday to train with Leicester City Football Club and sample the life of a professional footballer in this country, said, “I can’t wait to get to England and train with Leicester City.
“It is my dream to be a footballer, and I can’t believe I’m going to have the chance to train with a professional team.”
The scholarship, sponsored by Air India, is part of the Leicester India Football Link, an initiative aimed forging closer links between India and the English city of Leicester, often called ‘Little India’ for its large Indian-origin population.
It was launched by LCFC Chairman Milan Mandaric, British High Commissioner to India Sir Richard Stagg and Indian-origin MP Keith Vaz, who represents a Leicester constituency.
It follows a hugely successful tour to Goa in October last year by a group of Under-14 footballers from Leicester.
During the tour, Lesten was identified by the coaches who accompanied the touring party as possessing great ability, and they chose him to receive this once in a lifetime opportunity, Vaz’s office said Wednesday.
In addition to training with the club, Lesten will attend the Foxes final home game of the season against Scunthorpe and meet with Leicester City football legend and former England captain Gary Lineker.
Vaz said, “It’s wonderful to be able to welcome this talented young man to Leicester. The players from Leicester enjoyed a fantastic tour last year and I’m delighted that the link between the two communities can be further strengthened through the Gary Lineker Scholarship.”
- WAG Danielle Lineker says football isn't important to her - May 10, 2010
- British schoolboys in Goa for football ties (With image) - Oct 20, 2008
- Football to link Leicester with Goa - Mar 07, 2008
- Gandhi statue unveiled in Britain - Jun 26, 2009
- British Home Secretary to unveil Gandhi statue in 'Little India' - Jun 24, 2009
- 'Ageing' Man U stars unlikely to win Premier League: Lineker - Aug 08, 2010
- Indian-origin siblings set for British parliamentary debut - Mar 22, 2010
- I-League football clubs form their association - Mar 10, 2012
- European clubs sell dreams to Indian footballers - May 08, 2011
- Gary Lineker to cook lunch if he loses soccer bet to wife Danielle Bux - May 10, 2010
- Leicester Asian football team to India - Jun 18, 2008
- It's a great thrill to see wife Danielle in Calendar Girls: Gary Lineker - Mar 12, 2011
- Thai duty-free shops group buys Leicester City - Aug 18, 2010
- Keith Vaz wins in British polls - May 07, 2010
- Gary Lineker is 'daddy day-care' as wife Danielle tours with Calendar Girls - Mar 22, 2011
Tags: air india, british high commissioner, captain gary, city football club, city of leicester, england captain, football legend, football link, football scholarship, gary lineker, home game, indian origin, keith vaz, lifetime opportunity, little india, milan mandaric, origin population, professional footballer, professional team, richard stagg