Goalposts moved in Dr Death’s manslaughter trialMarch 2nd, 2011 - 5:54 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Mar 2 (ANI): Indian-origin doctor Jayant Patel’s lawyers have told a court in Brisbane that “the goalposts were moved” during his manslaughter trial, causing the jury to wrongly pronounce him guilty on all counts, on the opening day of his appeal hearing.
Patel, 60, was sentenced to seven years’ jail in July last year after being found guilty of the manslaughter of three patients and the grievous bodily harm to another.
The patients died during Patel’s two-year stint as director of surgery at the Bundaberg Base Hospital in regional Queensland.
Addressing the Court of Appeal in Brisbane today, Ken Fleming QC said the court had “moved the goalposts” on Patel.
“The very way in which the case changed was so great that it was a miscarriage of justice,” The Australian quoted Fleming, as saying.
Patel also complains that the judge allowed jurors to hear about his disciplinary history in the US, including how he was reprimanded for gross or repeated acts of negligence.
The hearing will continue this afternoon with argument from crown prosecutor Ross Martin SC. (ANI)
- 'Dr Death' Jayant Patel's lawyers lodge appeal in manslaughter case - Jul 15, 2010
- Oz-Indian surgeon 'Dr Death' Jayant Patel seeking legal aid - Oct 15, 2010
- Patel's lawyers plead for mercy ahead of sentencing - Jul 01, 2010
- 'Dr Death' Patel's appeal postponed over being too broke to pay lawyer - Sep 21, 2010
- 'Dr. Death' Jayant Patel on suicide watch - Jul 01, 2010
- 'Dr. Death' Jayant Patel moved to new jail in Brisbane - Jul 05, 2010
- 'Dead patients of Indian-origin doctor consented to surgeries' - Jun 17, 2010
- Indian-origin 'Dr. Death' Patel loses manslaughter appeal, to approach HC - Apr 21, 2011
- 'Dr. Death'Jayant Patel jailed for seven years - Jul 01, 2010
- 'Dr. Death' Jayant Patel can walk free in three-and-a-half years - Jul 01, 2010
- Indian-origin doctor called his hospital third world country - May 11, 2010
- Extended jail term sought for Indian-origin doctor - Jul 20, 2010
- "Dr. Death" Jayant Patel faced disciplinary action in US in 2000: Brisbane SC told - Mar 23, 2010
- Indian-origin doctor guilty of manslaughter in Australia - Jun 29, 2010
- Dr. Death's claim that dead patient's bowel was cancerous not true, says pathologist - Mar 30, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,