Goa could lose safe tourist destination tag: tourism ministerOctober 26th, 2008 - 12:55 am ICT by IANS
Panaji, Oct 26 (IANS) Tourists, both from India and abroad, have started raising doubts about Goa being a safe destination, state Tourism Minister Francisco alias Mickky Pacheco has said in a letter to Home Minister Ravi Naik against the backdrop of a series of crimes. “Despite my best efforts to convince them that Goa is a safe destination, people somehow do not seem to believe us,” Pacheco say in the letter delivered to the home minister’s office Saturday.
Pacheco has urged Naik to take the investigation into the rape of the minor German girl to its logical conclusion. “Let the message be loud and clear that in Goa nobody is above the law, however mighty and influential he may be,” he has said.
Fadela Fuchs has said Goa Education minister Atanasio Monserrate’s son Rohit and Public Works Department (PWD) Minister Churchill Alemao’s nephew Warren had raped her 14-year-old daugher.
The tourism minister also notes that the murder of British teenager Scarlett Keeling earlier this year has also affected the image of the state.