Global boss of Burger King brands UK food ‘terrible’, women ‘unattractive’March 14th, 2011 - 1:18 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 14 (ANI): The global boss of Burger King has apologised after calling British women ‘unattractive’ and describing English food as ‘terrible’.
The comments were made as Brazilian-born Bernardo Hees, 40, spoke to a group of U.S. students about the time he spent at the University of Warwick where he was studying for MBA, reports the Daily Mail.
Explaining he was able to focus on his studies because of a lack of distractions, he told the audience in Chicago: “The food is terrible and the women are not very attractive.
“Here in Chicago, the food is good and you are known for your good-looking women,” he said.
Hees’ unguarded remarks quicky drew condemnation from British restaurant chefs and female students.
Charli Fritzner, women’s campaign officer at the University of Warwick, told The Observer: “If he views women as potential distractions in academia, I wonder how he views them in the workplace?
“It doesn’t make Burger King an attractive employer for women, she added.
However, Burger King has admitted its boss regretted his words.
“Mr Hees apologises if his comment has offended anyone. It was intended as a humorous anecdote to connect with his audience,” a spokesman said. (ANI)
- Burger King CEO criticized for calling Brit women 'ugly' and UK food 'terrible' - Mar 14, 2011
- Why we should all be walking backwards for our health (The Funny Side - IANS has introduced a weekly column by Hong Kong-based humour writer Nury Vittachi) - Jun 08, 2012
- Ricky Gervais' "Life's Too Short" premieres - Feb 20, 2012
- 3G Capital Acquires Burger King - Sep 03, 2010
- Attractive employees 'paid better, get more attention from bosses' - Jul 20, 2010
- Giant burger sets new world record - Sep 04, 2012
- Francisco Perez shocked to hear profanity at Burger King - Nov 18, 2010
- Burger King introduces bacon sundae in the US - Jun 13, 2012
- BBC apologises for comments made on Mexico during Top Gear show - Feb 04, 2011
- Burger King to launch 'Pizza Burger' with 2,520-calorie! - Aug 23, 2010
- Beckham joins Burger King campaign - Apr 07, 2012
- New Zealand couple served blood-soaked burger - Apr 24, 2010
- Man orders whopper with 1000 slices of cheese - Jul 16, 2012
- Burger King Staff Fired After Francisco Perez Receipt Insults - Nov 19, 2010
- Burger weighing 777 pounds sets new record - Jul 05, 2011
Tags: academia, apologises, audience, boss, british women, burger king, campaign officer, condemnation, daily mail, distractions, english food, female students, good looking women, hees, humorous anecdote, mba, restaurant chefs, spokesman, uk food, university of warwick