Glitz, glamour planned for IPL closing ceremonyMay 23rd, 2009 - 2:50 pm ICT by IANS
Pretoria, May 23 (IANS) After five weeks of exhilarating cricket, the Indian Premier League (IPL) will draw to a close in an electrifying closing ceremony at Wanderers Cricket Stadium in Johannesburg Sunday.
“The closing ceremony is going to be spectacular,” IPL media director Trevor Jones told BuaNews Friday.
The two teams that will play in the final would only be known after the semi-final matches are complete.
“The IPL has been an amazing spectacle that has surprised many in South Africa and the world. To host this tournament at short notice; the results were just amazing,” he added.
The IPL cricket tournament was shifted from India to South Africa over security concerns of the players as the government had to concentrate on the parliamentary elections.
According to a detailed programme released Friday, the line-up for the closing ceremony includes performances by world renowned music legend Eddy Grant and the American super-star Akon.
Eddy Grant will perform the popular “Walking on Sunshine” and his anti-apartheid hit song “Gimme Hope Jo’anna”.
Akon, who recently met President Jacob Zuma, will perform his Grammy award songs accompanied by Shilpa Shetty, the Bollywood actress and co-owner of the IPL team the Rajasthan Royals.
Adding Bollywood glamour will be actress Katrina Kaif, who together with a troupe of Indian and South African dancers will perform the well-known “Jai Ho”, which was the theme song for the Oscar award wining movie “Slumdog Millionaire”.
President Zuma is expected to attend the IPL final match and would also address the stadium just before the game starts.
Other highlights on the night would include a programme featuring renowned percussionist Shivamani and a group of Indian and South African drummers.
Apart from the various musical programmes, the crowd would also be introduced to the Miss Bollywood IPL South Africa finalists, culminating with the crowning of the winner of the beauty competition.
About 1,500 flying lanterns will be lit and released, and a thrilling pyrotechnics show, using several thousand rounds of fireworks, will light up the Johannesburg skyline.
The glittering spectacle will end with a presentation ceremony for the winning cricket team.
–Indo-Asian news Service
- Shilpa to join R&B artist Akon at IPL finale - May 21, 2009
- From Gandhi to Akon, it was a fitting IPL finale - May 25, 2009
- Glittering end to IPL 2 with Bollywood fusion, but no Shilpa - May 25, 2009
- Mandela bring down curtain on historic World Cup - Jul 12, 2010
- Shakira's 'Waka Waka' a tribute to African women - Jul 10, 2010
- Shilpa and Katrina to perform at the Johannesburg - May 23, 2009
- Historic Spain victory caps euphoric African World Cup (Roundup) - Jul 12, 2010
- South Africa World Cup gets off to flying start (Roundup) - Jun 12, 2010
- Freeman, Theron among celebs to attend World Cup final - Jul 10, 2010
- Nelson Mandela discharged from hospital (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Zuma hails South Africans for historic, vibrant World Cup - Jul 12, 2010
- IPL has revived South African economy: President Zuma - May 25, 2009
- Salim-Sulaiman to perform at FIFA World Cup - May 24, 2010
- South Africans real stars of World Cup: Zuma - Jul 11, 2010
- Bollywood stars, business honchos, politicians expected at IPL final - May 20, 2009
Tags: africa and the world, african dancers, african drummers, bollywood actress, cricket stadium, cricket tournament, eddy grant, final match, gimme hope, glitz glamour, jacob zuma, katrina kaif, media director, miss bollywood, music legend, oscar award, parliamentary elections, renowned music, shilpa shetty, walking on sunshine