Glasgow chef claims chicken tikka masala originated in ScotlandAugust 3rd, 2009 - 5:24 pm ICT by ANI
Glasgow (Scotland), Aug.3 (ANI): A Glasgow chef has claimed that Britain’s popular chicken tikka massala did not originate in the UK, but in Scotland.
Sixty-four-year-old Ahmed Aslam Ali, the founder of Shish Mahal, is claiming that he invented the dish, and is now calling on the European Union to give it “Protected Designation of Origin” status, alongside the likes of Champagne, Parma Ham and Greek Feta cheese.
Ali says that the creamy, mildly spicy curry was first made here in the 1970s to please the Scots, but then it went on to become the most popular dish in British restaurants.
“Chicken tikka masala was invented in this restaurant, we used to make chicken tikka, and one day a customer said, ‘I’d take some sauce with that, this is a bit dry’,” The News quoted Ali, as saying.
Glasgow’s Labor lawmaker Mohammad Sarwar is now taking steps to gain EU legal protection for the curry. (ANI)
- Top Indian chefs warn Scottish MPs to keep their hands off chicken tikka masala rights - Aug 05, 2009
- Britain's love affair with Indian curry hits 200-year landmark - Jun 25, 2010
- Indians boil over Scottish bid to patent chicken tikka masala (Lead) - Aug 05, 2009
- Indians get hot over Scottish bid to patent Chicken Tikka Masala - Aug 05, 2009
- Forget Indian curry meals, Pizza is now Britain's favourite dish - Aug 09, 2010
- British balti chicken aiming to capture Indian taste buds - Apr 21, 2010
- Cruise enjoys chicken tikka - Aug 23, 2012
- India, and its art of spices - Jun 20, 2011
- Feasting all night long - at Jama Masjid of course (Feature) (With Images) - Aug 10, 2012
- Indian restaurants-on-wheels becoming hip in USA - Dec 26, 2010
- 'Two glasses of wine a day will bring down cholesterol level' - Jun 03, 2012
- China chaat, pomfret roast rock Chittaranjan Park's food platter - Oct 04, 2011
- British city wants a patent on 'Balti' - Jul 02, 2009
- Chinese stir-fry is Britain's top dish - Jan 22, 2012
- Chomping on cheese and chilli delights in Bhutan - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: 1970s, ahmed, ali, british restaurants, champagne, chicken tikka masala, curry, designation, dish, european union, glasgow scotland, greek feta cheese, lawmaker, mohammad, parma ham, sarwar, scotland glasgow, scots, taking steps