Give kids books and vegetable gardens, urge UK ministersNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:49 am ICT by admin
He also urged teachers to take kids on farm trips.
Balls suggested a return to old methods as he launched the National Year of Reading saying that bedtime stories should be a part of a child’s routine just like brushing the teeth.
“Ten minutes of reading a day can make a difference to a child’s future by instilling a love of books,” the Sun quoted Balls, as saying.
The statement comes when a report revealed that one in five 11-year-olds failing to make the grade.
Schools minister Jim Knight said schools should have their own allotments to combat obesity.
“You can change behaviour by winning hearts and minds,” he said. (ANI)
- Regular bedtime linked to better language, math skills - Jun 07, 2010
- Talking about weight might give kids eating disorder - Jul 02, 2012
- Bedtime stories improve child literacy - Apr 04, 2010
- Mothers can help where it hurts kids the most - Sep 07, 2012
- Regular bedtime makes children smarter - Jun 07, 2010
- Family dinners help kids stave off obesity - Apr 24, 2012
- Blame habits for childhood obesity, not heredity - Feb 01, 2011
- J-K Education Department conducts workshop for teachers - Dec 29, 2010
- Whole Kids foundation to focus on childhood health - Jul 28, 2011
- Childhood obesity comes from unhealthy lifestyle: Study - Feb 01, 2011
- USDA Issues Mandate For Healthier School Lunches - Jan 14, 2011
- How to give your baby a good night sleep - Aug 14, 2010
- No more junk food at Fiji schools - Oct 31, 2011
- 'Ignorance takes toll on oral health' (September 12 is World Oral Health Day) - Sep 12, 2012
- New iPad app lets parents read stories to their kids - even if they are at work - Mar 23, 2011