Gitmo prisoners could be arraigned before Obamas inaugurationJanuary 14th, 2009 - 4:51 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan.14 (ANI): Suspected 9/11 conspirators held at the Guantanamo Bay detention center in Cuba could be arraigned the day before Inauguration Day, sources have told FOX News.
The reasons behind the possible arraignment are described as administrative.
Defense attorneys have been told in an e-mail from the court clerk Tuesday that they should be prepared to argue whether an arraignment is necessary, and that an arraignment could take place.
This means some prisoners could enter guilty pleas the day before Obama is sworn into the office and two days before the president-elect is expected to issue an executive order shutting down Guantanamo.
One source told FOX News that guilty pleas would complicate the incoming administration’’s efforts to put military commissions on hold, specifically for the Sept. 11 conspiracy.
They also said that Obama’’s attempt to shut down the controversial Guantanamo prison would not have any immediate effects. Rather, according to one source, Obama will order the facility to be closed as quickly as possible while leaving room for national security implications to be considered. (ANI)
- Bin Laden's driver pleads guilty at Guantanamo - Jul 08, 2010
- No 9/11 accused has gone to the gallows - Sep 10, 2011
- Pakistani mastermind of 9/11 charged again - Jun 01, 2011
- Osama and Zawahiri to be kept at Guantanamo if captured: CIA - Feb 17, 2011
- 9/11 Pakistani mastermind, 4 others sent for trial - Apr 05, 2012
- US to release five Taliban from Guantanamo? - Apr 01, 2012
- Osama's Sudanese cook sentenced to 14 years in prison - Aug 12, 2010
- Obama orders resumption of Guantanamo trials - Mar 08, 2011
- A year later, Obama falters on pledge to shut Guantanamo - Jan 14, 2010
- Obama defends plans to close Guantanamo - Sep 11, 2010
- Guantanamo prison won't be closed by January as planned - Sep 27, 2009
- 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed faces New York trial (Second Lead) - Nov 14, 2009
- Holder blames Congress for forcing 9/11 mastermind, accomplices' trial at Guantanamo Bay - Apr 05, 2011
- Obama to issue order to close Gitmo during first week in office - Jan 13, 2009
- Tropical storm forces delay of 9/11 trial - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: arraignment, conspirators, cuba, defense attorneys, e mail, executive order, fox news, gitmo prisoners, guantanamo bay, guantanamo prison, guilty pleas, inauguration day, incoming administration, military commissions, national security implications, obama, president elect, sept 11 conspiracy