Girls school uniforms not sexy insists Malaysias Education MinisterMay 26th, 2008 - 11:04 pm ICT by admin
Kuala Lumpur , May 26 (ANI): Malaysia s Education Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein has insisted that blaming students or their uniforms for sexual crimes is unfair as there is nothing sexy about school uniforms now worn by girls in government schools.
In fact, he said that he was personally against remarks terming school uniforms provocative.
From what I have seen, clothing is not the main consideration of those who commit despicable acts. Usually, there is an underlying problem, such as a disease, that makes them behave that way, Star Online quoted him, as saying.
Recently, the National Islamic Students Association of Malaysia denounced the uniform as being too sexy and thus promoting rape and pre-marital sex.
While Hishammuddin said that though he thinks that changing the school uniform would not bring down the number of sex crimes committed against schoolgirls, he would still ask experts within his ministry to consider the issue and would ask them to listen to various ideas before coming down to a decision.
He added further that the uniform has been continuing since a long time and would not change very much in the next few years.
It is unfair to punish women and children and the clothes they wear for the act of rapists, he said.
Also, he said that he cannot tolerate this type of stereotyping to continue in times to come. (ANI)
- 'Sexy' school uniforms to stay, says Malaysian minister - May 26, 2008
- Conflicting statements by Malaysian government create confusion over Indian workers - Mar 06, 2011
- Malaysia urged to speed up changes to Internal Security Act - Jan 26, 2011
- 70 percent Chinese have pre-marital sex: Study - Apr 10, 2012
- Malaysia may be a transit point for weapons of mass destruction: Hishammuddin - Mar 22, 2011
- My wife not interested in watching sex video: Anwar Ibrahim - Mar 27, 2011
- Malaysian PM disapproves of protests by ethnic Indian group - Feb 28, 2011
- Malaysian Hindu body challenges registration denial - May 26, 2011
- Malaysian schools to have sex education - Dec 17, 2010
- Asian men jailed in UK for grooming young girls to become sex slaves - Nov 27, 2010
- Pope denounces gay marriage - Mar 10, 2012
- Gillard urges students to be careful on internet - Apr 05, 2012
- Malaysian PM's ex-aide being probed for sedition - Feb 04, 2010
- HINDRAF must file an appeal first, says Malaysian Home Minister - May 12, 2009
- Tamil schools in Malaysia to get RM 130 million - Apr 02, 2009
Tags: clothes, datuk seri, despicable acts, education minister, girls school uniforms, government schools, islamic students, kuala lumpur, long time, pre marital sex, rape, rapists, s education, school uniform, schoolgirls, sex crimes, sexual crimes, students association