Girls as young as 12 selling themselves for sex in ‘young red light area’ in NZJune 12th, 2010 - 5:16 pm ICT by ANI
New Zealand, June 12 (ANI): Girls as young as 12 are selling themselves for sex in downtown Auckland, indicating a surge in underage prostitution in the area.Senior Constable Mark Riddell of the Auckland central police Youth Action Team said in the last six weeks, a police operation code-named City Door had identified at least 13 girls aged under 16 who were “active prostitutes”.
Many of them work from City Road, which runs between Queen Street and Symonds Street.
Senior Constable Riddell calls the street a “young red light area”.
In the last two weeks, Senior Constable Riddell and his team have taken five underage girls off the streets and put them in to the custody of Child, Youth and Family.
However, Riddell said many of these girls escape CYF and go straight back on the street.
“Kids will run away on the same night we pick them up. On some occasions, they’ve got back to the city before we’ve got back out on the road,” the New Zealand Herald quoted him as saying.
One of the girls, who started working as a prostitute when she was 12 and had never been to high school, said she had been picked up by a car full of men and raped only days earlier.
Senior Constable Riddell said CYF has only about 100 beds in secure custody across New Zealand.
These are prioritised for those at risk of suicide, so the girls he dealt with often missed out.
Debbie Baker, the manager of Streetreach, a group supporting street sex workers, said she knew of at least 12 girls between 11 and 15 “out there selling themselves for sex” in the central city.
She believed that the police were under-resourced and CYF was unable to deal with the problem.
Riddell said that many of the girls’ parents knew what they are doing.
Auckland Mayor John Banks said he was concerned by what he calls an epidemic of prostitution, family violence and drug and alcohol abuse in greater Auckland. (ANI)
- Seven held in China for prostituting underage girls - Jul 19, 2012
- Homosexual prostitute racket busted in China - Jan 11, 2012
- Berlusconi admits paying cash to underage dancer - Apr 12, 2011
- Underage girl forces classmates into prostitution in China - Dec 07, 2011
- NZ becoming a hot bed for Asian sex workers - Jul 12, 2010
- Prosecutors to request Berlusconi trial over 'Rubygate' - Feb 09, 2011
- Modern Turkey founder Ataturk's yacht seized over vice ring allegations - Sep 30, 2010
- German city to tax prostitutes - Aug 31, 2011
- Berlusconi faces witness manipulating charges - Apr 20, 2012
- More Asian sex predators held in Britain - Jan 12, 2011
- French footie stars Ribery, Benzema questioned in under-age sex inquiry - Jul 20, 2010
- Kiwi B-school to hold sex-ed classes for 'sexually ignorant Asian students' - Nov 19, 2010
- Girls as young as 9 selling sex for drugs, says Oz politician - Feb 24, 2011
- Berlusconi to face charges 'most likely on Monday or Tuesday' - Feb 03, 2011
- 14-year-old British Columbia girl arrested for luring teens into prostitution - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: 12 girls, alcohol abuse, constable, custody of child, debbie baker, drug and alcohol, drug and alcohol abuse, family violence, john banks, mark riddell, mayor john, new zealand herald, one of the girls, police operation, queen street, sex workers, street kids, street sex, symonds street, underage girls