Gingrich to launch 2012 Prez bidMarch 2nd, 2011 - 5:10 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 2(ANI): Former U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Newt Gingrich is to formally launch his bid for a Republican nomination to take on President Barack Obama next year.
According to The Guardian, Gingrich will announce Thursday that he is setting up a presidential exploratory committee, the first stage in the process.
Although the presidential election is not until November next year, the caucuses and primaries begin in January 2012.
Gingrich had served as the 58th Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives from 1995 to 1999.
In 1995, Time magazine had selected him as the Person of the Year for his role in leading the Republican revolution in the House, ending 40 years of the Democratic Party being in the majority.
During his term as speaker, Congress had passed former President Bill Clinton’s 1996 reform of welfare, a capital gains tax cut and the first balanced budget since 1969.
Following Republican losses in the 1998 mid-term elections, Gingrich resigned both his speakership and his congressional seat.
Since resigning his seat, the 67-year-old has been a political analyst and consultant.
Earlier, a poll conducted by Public Policy Polling had indicated that Gingrich was the leading GOP contender for the Republican nomination with 23 percent of likely Republican voters saying that they would vote for him. (ANI)
- 'We will look at 2012 presidential run very seriously': Gingrich - Mar 04, 2011
- Gingrich wins key Republican primary in South Carolina - Jan 22, 2012
- Romney faces tough fight in deep South (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Romney faces tough fight in deep South - Mar 13, 2012
- US Presidential wannabe Mike Huckabee way ahead of Republican rivals, finds poll - Jan 13, 2011
- Over half of Americans think Obama will lose 2012 presidential re-election bid - Feb 09, 2011
- US Presidential wannabe Huckabee way ahead of Republican rivals: Poll - Mar 03, 2011
- Dave Mustaine endorses Rick Santorum - Feb 16, 2012
- Gingrich announces withdrawal from Republican primaries - May 03, 2012
- Romney wins six, but fails to deliver a knockout (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Romney thumps Gingrich, regains momentum - Feb 01, 2012
- Romney pads up lead as Santorum wins Kansas - Mar 11, 2012
- Romney pulls ahead, but Ohio still hangs in balance (Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Crucial primaries await Republican front-runners - Feb 28, 2012
- Romney frontrunner as Republican race hits 'Super Tuesday' - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,