Gilgit-Baltistan leaders reject Musharraf’s empowerment packageNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:16 am ICT by admin
The speakers demanded a ‘fully autonomous state comprising of Gilgit and Baltistan’ until the resolution of the Kashmir dispute between India and Pakistan.
Musharraf’s tactics are meant to buy time and hide violations of human and political rights,’ said Manzoor Hussain Parwana, the Chairman of the Gilgit-Baltistan United Movement.
Under the newly announced package, the existing Northern Areas legislative council will be given the status of an assembly with powers to make its own annual budget and development plan, which earlier wasn’t the case.
The post of the deputy chief executive, the number two official of the region, has been upgraded to chief executive. The post of chief executive, who is an official appointed by Islamabad and who calls the shots, has been renamed the chairman of the Council.
Ghulam Shehzad Agha Secretary General GBUM condemned the construction of Bhasha Dam on river Indus in the region and asked the people not to pay all sort of taxes including electricity bills. The government has steeply hiked electricity tariff as well as direct and indirect taxes, to the disappointment of the region’s mostly impoverished people.
Shehzad says the scale of neglect of the region is criminal. Even basic facilities such as electricity, drinking water and elementary healthcare did not exist in Gilgit Baltistan. (ANI)
- Pakistan launches 4,500 MW dam project - Oct 19, 2011
- Demilitarise Siachen, says Nawaz Sharif - Apr 18, 2012
- Pakistan no to seeking NOC on dam from India - Aug 14, 2012
- Pak's Gilgit-Baltistan reforms, attempt to divide Kashmiris: JKLF - Nov 04, 2009
- Gilgit-Baltistan leader kidnapped, says Skardu leader - Apr 15, 2008
- Villagers threatened by dam cracks in Pakistan-administered Kashmir - Jan 09, 2012
- 'Autonomy to Gilgit will obstruct Kashmir resolution' - Aug 31, 2009
- POK leaders justify India's objection to Chinese projects - Oct 14, 2009
- Polling completed in Gilgit-Baltistan election - Nov 12, 2009
- Pakistan-Tajikistan road to cost Rs.2 bn - Oct 19, 2011
- Five prisoners break free in Pakistan - Aug 01, 2012
- "Day not far when Kashmir will be free": Sharif - Nov 06, 2009
- Pakistan dam develops cracks - Feb 21, 2012
- Pakistan sets date with Saudi dates - Mar 25, 2012
- Gilgit-Baltistan is part of Kashmir, asserts India - Jan 01, 2010
Tags: agha, autonomous state, baltistan, chairman, deputy chief executive, electricity bills, electricity tariff, ghulam, gilgit, hussain, india and pakistan, indirect taxes, kashmir dispute, legislative council, musharraf regime, northern areas, political atrocities, political rights, river indus, skardu