Giant security operations underway for royal weddingApril 19th, 2011 - 12:31 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 19 (ANI): Prince William and Kate Middleton’s royal wedding will be covered by huge security operations, including surveillance by the UK police and CCTV cameras on ground and in the sky.
The moment the wedding date was announced, police began digitally mapping every location from the air, taking an accurate picture of potential weak spots, such as rooftops.
“The police will be engaged in a massive security operation in the weeks leading up to the wedding,” Sky News quoted Brian Paddick, the former deputy assistant commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, as saying.
“They will be looking at people known to have an obsession with the royals, perhaps, or people they suspect of planning a terrorist attack, to ensure that security is tight on the day,” he added.
Searches this week began at key locations, such as The Mall and Horse Guards Parade, to eliminate the risk of a terrorist strike. Officers have searched drains and opened up lampposts and traffic lights to check for explosive devices.
“Once somewhere’s been searched and deemed safe it will be sealed and checked on a regular basis to make sure it hasn’t been tampered with,” said former public order officer Graham Wetton.
Police sniffer dogs that can detect explosives from 100 meters away are being put through their paces ahead of the big day.
All police applications for leave have been suspended, to make sure there are enough security resources on the ground and on rooftops on the wedding day. (ANI)
- Royal Wedding guests to undergo 9 security checks over terror attack fears - Apr 04, 2011
- Prince William and Kate wedding 'wide open to terror attack' - Jan 02, 2011
- Brit police plan to stop-and-search to prevent Royal Wedding disruption - Mar 29, 2011
- Briton burnt alive 'for being gay' - Oct 24, 2011
- High security in place for Independence Day in Delhi - Aug 14, 2011
- UK police to crackdown on royal wedding stalkers - Apr 18, 2011
- British PM to gift book to royal couple - Apr 28, 2011
- Muslim group threatens to disrupt William's wedding - Mar 29, 2011
- Security beefed up in Delhi ahead of Independence Day - Aug 08, 2011
- Counter-terrorism in UK tougher since last Royal wedding - Apr 17, 2011
- Hillary Clinton offers words of wisdom to Wills-Kate ahead of wedding - Mar 10, 2011
- Royal wedding tops Google search in Britain - Dec 15, 2011
- London firm faked sniffer dog searches at Olympic Park - Jun 22, 2012
- Kate Middleton Flashes Her Engagement Ring, Parents Congratulate Them - Nov 17, 2010
- Prince William to marry girlfriend Kate Middleton - Nov 16, 2010
Tags: cctv cameras, deputy assistant commissioner, horse guards parade, kate middleton, lampposts, massive security operation, metropolitan police, police applications, prince william, prince william and kate, prince william and kate middleton, rooftops, royal wedding, security operations, security resources, sky news, terrorist strike, traffic lights, wetton, william and kate