Giant heated ‘condoms’ fitted over freezing UK trains to keep them moving!December 20th, 2010 - 4:33 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 20 (ANI): Trains in Britain are being fitted with giant heated “condoms” in a bid to thaw them out and keep them moving.
Train operator ScotRail has been experimenting with the giant plastic coverings that are stretched over trains, at a secret location near Perth, the Scotsman reported.
Besides that it has also fitted its trains with plastic skirts, which are blasted with hot air from gas heaters placed along the tracks, to thaw out snow and ice.
Frozen trains are normally de-iced by using high-pressure water lances in covered sheds, but the extreme weather has led to a backlog of trains needing to be thawed out. (ANI)
- Snow disrupts travel across Europe, hits economy (Third Lead) - Dec 21, 2010
- Two thirds of permafrost likely to melt by 2200 - Feb 17, 2011
- Climate change strips Arctic of much snow cover - May 05, 2011
- New rum ad 'mocks Scotsmen in kilts' - Feb 07, 2011
- European holiday makers' plans hit by heavy snowfall (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- European economy gets hit by massive snowfall (Second Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- Arctic ice could affect climate change - Sep 07, 2012
- Over 100 flights cancelled in Chicago due to snow - Dec 27, 2010
- Tilda Swinton, Jamie Bell in 'Snow Piercer' - Jan 19, 2012
- WMATA Services Still Not In Shape - Feb 12, 2010
- Bubble wrap used on slopes of Scotland to prevent snow from melting - Apr 18, 2011
- North India shivers, fog hits rail traffic (Roundup) - Dec 26, 2011
- 60 dead as cold snap grips Italy - Feb 12, 2012
- Icy roads lead to car crashes in Chinese province - Jan 07, 2011
- Greenland ice loss can fill world's 11th largest lake - May 25, 2011
Tags: backlog, condoms, extreme weather, gas heaters, hot air, lances, london, moving train, perth, plastic coverings, pressure water, scotrail, scotsman, secret location, sheds, skirts, snow and ice, train operator, uk trains