Giant carrion-stinking flower blooms in Swiss botanical gardenApril 24th, 2011 - 4:15 pm ICT by ANI
Berne(Switzerland), April 24 (ANI): Visitors are thronging the botanical garden atBaselUniversityinSwitzerlandto see the rare blooming of a giant flower that is taller than a man, but smells of carrion.
The only time the country see the Titan Arum (Amorphophallus Titanum) produce a flower was 75 years ago, according news agencies.
World-wide, there have only been 134 recorded instances of cultivated plants blooming.
The nearly two-metre tall flower opened on Friday evening. The flower started to poke out of the soil in March, and in the past few days, it had been growing at the rate of about six centimetres a day.
It has taken 17 years for the corm to grow to 20kg and to reach the blossoming stage. It will start wilting by Saturday evening or Sunday.
Its mother plant last bloomed in theFrankfurtPalmGardenin 1992.
The garden expects some 10,000 people to come and see it. It will remain open for at least 24 hours while the flower lasts.(ANI)
- What's stinking? Oh the world's smelliest flower! - Apr 24, 2011
- World's rarest and largest flower blooms in Oz - Jan 25, 2011
- One of rarest flowers in world blooms in UK for 1st time in 200 years - Sep 08, 2010
- World's smelliest flowers set to bloom at Kew Gardens - Apr 27, 2009
- Kerala plans unique botanical garden - Jul 12, 2012
- Lois The Corpse Flower Blooming In Houston Museum Of Natural Science - Jul 23, 2010
- World's largest genome in slow-growing plant - Dec 14, 2010
- One in five of the world's plants facing extinction - Sep 29, 2010
- Orchid wears the scent of death to attract flies for pollination - Mar 15, 2011
- iPhone app tells you when to water your plants - May 20, 2012
- Mughal Gardens unfold floral carpets, 120 rose varieties - Feb 09, 2012
- Global warming may be impacting blooming cycle of plants - Nov 17, 2010
- A 250,000-rose India Gate replica - Aug 04, 2010
- World's largest medicinal botanic garden in China - Dec 09, 2011
- Sunny morning in Agra lights up residents, tourists - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: 17 years, april 24, berne switzerland, botanical garden, carrion, corm, few days, flower blooms, friday evening, giant flower, instances, mother plant, news agencies, plants, saturday evening, soil, stinking flower, tall flower, titan arum