Giant bronze sculpture honours Iraqi journalist shoe-throwerJanuary 30th, 2009 - 4:41 pm ICT by ANI
Tikrit (Iraq), Jan. 30 (ANI): A huge bronze shoe sculpture has been erected in tribute to the Iraqi journalist who grabbed instant fame when threw his shoes at former US President George W Bush last year.
The shoe, in which a tree has been planted, stands 10 feet high and sits atop a white pedestal in Tikrit, the hometown of executed Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, the Telegraph reports.
A rose bush is growing next to the monument which was erected in the gardens of an Iraqi foundation that cares for children whose parents have died in the violence that engulfed Iraq after the March 2003 US-led invasion.
A poem praising Iraqi journalist Muntader al-Zaidi has also been written on a board and stands at the foot of the monument, the work of Iraqi artist Laith al-Ameri.
“This is a gift for the family of Muntader al-Zaidi, a hero, whose act helped Iraqi people feel proud,” a member of the children’’s foundation told a crowd of 400 people gathered for the unveiling of the work of art.
The foundation’’s president, Shaha al-Juburi, insisted that the sculpture was not backed by any political party or organisation.
Zaidi hurled his shoes at Mr Bush during the US president’’s farewell visit to Iraq on December 14, an action considered a grave insult in the Arab world.
The 29-year-old journalist for Al-Baghdadia television also insulted the American president, shouting: “It is the farewell kiss, you dog.”
His action was hailed across the Arab world as an ideal parting gift to a president widely unpopular in the region. (ANI)
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist released - Sep 15, 2009
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist alleges torture (Lead) - Sep 15, 2009
- Shoe throwing Iraqi journalist's release from jail postponed by a day - Sep 14, 2009
- Iraqi reporter who hurled shoes at Bush "unclear" about his future - Sep 18, 2009
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist gets three years in prison (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2009
- Iraqi shoe thrower inundated with offers of cars, homes and a wife! - Sep 09, 2009
- Show thrower says ex-Oz PM Howard deserved 'a lot worse'for Iraq War involvement - Oct 26, 2010
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist wants Swiss asylum - Sep 22, 2009
- Sentence of Iraqi shoe-throwing journalist reduced - Apr 07, 2009
- Iraqi shoe thrower freed, alleges he was tortured with electric shocks - Sep 15, 2009
- Iraqi shoe-thrower targeted with shoe (Lead) - Dec 02, 2009
- Iraqi shoe-thrower pelted with shoe - Dec 02, 2009
- Saudi citizen offers 10mn dollars for Iraqi reporters shoes hurled at Bush - Dec 16, 2008
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist's trial adjourned - Feb 19, 2009
- Arab world lauds Iraqi TV journalist shoe-hurling at Bush - Dec 16, 2008
Tags: al baghdadia, american president, arab world, bronze sculpture, dictator saddam hussein, farewell, george w bush, insult, iraqi artist, iraqi dictator saddam, mr bush, parting gift, pedestal, president george w bush, rose bush, saddam hussein, shaha, us president george, work of art, zaidi