Giant asteroid to pass between earth, moonNovember 8th, 2011 - 1:02 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Nov 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A 400-metre-wide asteroid will Tuesday fly past earth, closer to it than the moon’s orbit.
The asteroid will pose no threat to Earth, NASA says. It will not be visible without a telescope.
NASA scientists have been tracking the asteroid, named 2005 YU55, since Friday.
“The asteroid 2005 YU55 cannot hit Earth, at least over the interval that we can compute the motion reliably - which extends for several hundred years,” said Lance Benner, the asteroid’s principal researcher at NASA.
The aircraft carrier-sized asteroid will make its closest approach to Earth at 23:28 GMT, at a distance of 325,000 km. It is the closest this space rock has come in 200 years.
NASA’s Goldstone Observatory in California and the Arecibo Planetary Radar facility in Puerto Rico will scan the asteroid during the close pass in a bid to identify its path and substance, and where it may go in the future.
- Asteroid 2005 yu55 to pass close to Earth today - Nov 08, 2011
- Big space rock flies close to Earth, no harm done - Nov 09, 2011
- Asteroid longer than aircraft to whiz past earth - Nov 05, 2011
- 'Potentially dangerous' asteroid spotted passing Earth on April 19 - Apr 30, 2010
- Huge asteroid to fly close to earth on November 8th, 2011 - Apr 09, 2011
- Huge asteroid to fly close to earth on November - May 03, 2011
- Asteroid bigger than aircraft carrier closing in - Nov 06, 2011
- Pictures of '2005 YU55' asteroid released by NASA - Nov 10, 2011
- Olympic athletics: Sanchez storms to men's 400m hurdles gold - Aug 07, 2012
- China comes up with plan to save Earth from asteroid hit - Aug 19, 2011
- Apophis asteroid not to strike Earth: Russian experts - Aug 30, 2012
- Asteroid may yield clues about Earth's formation - Oct 31, 2011
- Private firm plans to mine asteroids for rare metals - Apr 25, 2012
- New space station crew in orbit - May 15, 2012
- Asteroid pair does a celestial jig while cruising past Earth - Jul 15, 2008
Tags: aircraft carrier, dg, earth moon, fly, gmt, goldstone, hundred years, interval, moscow, nasa, nasa scientists, observatory, orbit, planetary radar, principal researcher, puerto rico, radar facility, ria novosti, space rock, telescope