Ghei hit by triple before rain halts play at Singapore OpenNovember 13th, 2008 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
Singapore, Nov 13 (IANS) Gaurav Ghei may well have wished the hooter had gone off a few minutes before it actually did to signal suspension of play on the opening day of the $5 million Singapore Open golf tournament Thursday.The rain had begun to get heavy and there was a threat of lightning, and Ghei, till then two-under and second on the leaderboard, dropped a triple bogey. From two-under, he slipped to two-over and minutes later play was called off with Ghei on the 13th and down to 19th place.
Ghei, currently 25th on the Money List, birdied the 13th, 15th and the 18th and dropped a bogey on 14th and a triple on the par-4 12th.
Local man Singapore’s Lam Chih-bing was the early leader at the wet Serapong course at four-under par after 13 holes. He started on the 10th and had four birdies on the back stretch, before parring the first four on his second nine. Five players, including China’s Zhang Lian-wei, Australian Darren Beck, second at the Hero Honda Indian Open last month, were all at one-under and three behind Chih-bing.
Among other Indians, Arjun Singh (after 10) and Gaganjeet Bhullar (after 9) were two-over, Jyoti Randhawa (after 12) was four-over, Arjun Atwal (after 14) was six-over and Anirban Lahiri playing with Mickelson was seven-over after 15.
Jeev Milkha Singh, S.S.P. Chowrasia, Shiv Kapur, Digvijay Singh, Rahil Gangjee, Amandeep Johl and Himmat Rai were yet to start their round.
Padraig Harrington, winner of the last two Majors, was even par through 14 holes, while American Phil Mickelson, who slipped to No. 3 in the world after last week’s HSBC Champions, was two over after 15 holes.
- Tough opening round lessons for Atwal at Augusta Masters - Apr 08, 2011
- Chikka takes two-shot lead in North India golf - Mar 15, 2012
- Khalin moves ahead of Chikka at Southern India Amateur golf - Jun 23, 2011
- Jyoti rallies after a slow start at Singapore Open - Oct 29, 2009
- Smriti, Rhea and Sharmila start well at European golf pre-qualifiers - Jan 09, 2012
- Bhullar tied 24th at Asian Tour International - Feb 04, 2010
- Jeev finishes 35th in Honda Classic - Mar 08, 2010
- Chikka leads Jasjit by three shots in Samarvir Sahi golf - Feb 28, 2012
- Barry Lane turns the clock back, Gangjee best Indian - Feb 12, 2010
- Mehar Atwal wins Southern India Ladies golf title - Sep 22, 2011
- Digvijay flying high at Singapore Open golf - Nov 13, 2008
- Jeev tied 15th, Atwal misses cut at Singapore Open golf - Nov 15, 2008
- Mehar Atwal in lead at Usha southern India ladies golf - Sep 20, 2011
- Atwal tied 52nd, Molinari leads in WGC-HSBC - Nov 04, 2010
- Bhullar in sight of top-10 as weather hits play again - Oct 31, 2009