Ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan is dead (Second Lead)June 13th, 2012 - 4:08 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 13 (IANS) Mehdi Hassan, the legendary Pakistani ghazal maestro born in India, passed away at a Karachi hospital Wednesday after a prolonged illness. He was 84.
His son Arif told Geo News that his father died of breathing complications at a private nursing home in Karachi.
The ghazal king had been discharged from Agha Khan hospital only last month. He was back in the hospital only a day later but was not put on a ventilator.
My father has been ill for the last 12 years but this year, his condition has deteriorated significantly… in the last one month,” said Arif. “He was released from hospital for just one day before being admitted again.”
Hassan, who has a huge fan following all over the world, had been suffering from lung, chest and urinary tract ailments for the past many years.
A paralytic stroke almost a decade ago had left the musician helpless and immobile.
Family sources said he was being fed through a tube for the last two years and had lost his voice. His family had appealed for help to revive the doyen of the modern-day ghazal.
In April this year, the legendary ghazal singer had got a visa to come to India for treatment but was too unwell to make the journey. He last came to India in 2000.
Hassan leaves behind nine sons and five daughters. He married twice. Both his wives are dead.
- Ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan is dead (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Mehdi Hassan to be laid to rest Friday - Jun 13, 2012
- Mamata Banerjee condoles Mehdi Hassan's death - Jun 13, 2012
- Ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan battling illness - Feb 08, 2011
- Big B mourns ghazal singer Mehdi Hassan's death - Jun 14, 2012
- Mehdi Hassan: end of golden era of ghazal (Obituary) - Jun 13, 2012
- Bollywood remembers 'immortal' Mehdi Hassan - Jun 13, 2012
- Alka Yagnik, Kumar Sanu visit Mehdi Hassan's grave in Karachi - Jun 17, 2012
- Kashmiri artists and ghazal lovers mourn Mehdi Hassan - Jun 13, 2012
- Pakistani ghazal singer Mehdi Hassan loses his memory - Nov 14, 2010
- Flyover, park to be dedicated to Mehdi Hassan - Apr 25, 2011
- Mehdi Hassan - my immortal 'ghazal traash' (Tribute) - Jun 13, 2012
- Mehdi Hassan was outstanding: Lata Mangeshkar - Jun 13, 2012
- Ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan hospitalised in Karachi - Feb 13, 2009
- Ali Zafar prays for Mehdi Hassan's good health - Jan 16, 2012