Germany picks 436 athletes for OlympicsJuly 16th, 2008 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 16 (Xinhua) The German Olympic Committee (DOSB) has selected 436 athletes for the Beijing Games. The current team is slightly smaller than the 452 athletes in Athens Games in 2004 but a little bigger than the 428 who went to Sydney in 2000.
“We have a strong team. We want to be successful, we want to combine performance and morale and have only clean success. We want to be good ambassadors of our country,” said DOSB president Thomas Bach.
Germany came sixth in the Athens 2004 medal table with 13 gold, 16 silver and 20 bronze medals.
The athletes include NBA star Dirk Nowitzki, discus throw world champion Franka Dietzsch, tennis player Rainer Schuettler and swimmer Vipa Bernhardt.
In addition to the athletes, the DOSB has named 55 doctors and physiotherapists as well as 240 trainers and support staff for next month’s event.
On July 26, German President Horst Koehler will officially announce the German Olympic team. On July 27, the first group of German athletes will arrive in Beijing for the opening of the Olympic village.
- Natasha Keller German flag bearer at opening ceremony - Jul 26, 2012
- US eye 30 athletics medals at London Olympics - Jun 27, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Australia's medal count to fall in London: Study - Jul 17, 2012
- Russia to send 436 athletes to London 2012 - Jul 10, 2012
- Cuba expecting better show at London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- Kemboi shifts base to Bristol to avoid public scrutiny - Jul 14, 2012
- Russia backs all 24 shooters to win Olympic medals - Jun 26, 2012
- China to send 396-strong team to London Olympics - Jul 10, 2012
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
- Slovenia target seven medals at London Olympics - Jul 04, 2012
- Kenya eyes seven golds at London Olympics - Jul 17, 2012
- New Zealand to send 185 athletes to London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- World champion Kemboi charged with assault - Jun 29, 2012
- Gymnast Teng pulls out of Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: athens 2004, athens games, bronze medals, current team, dirk nowitzki, franka dietzsch, german olympic team, german president, horst koehler, medal table, nba star, olympic committee, olympic village, physiotherapists, president thomas, rainer schuettler, tennis player, thomas bach, world champion, xinhua