Germany gives financial aid to Iraq reconciliation projectMarch 7th, 2009 - 10:50 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, March 7 (DPA) Germany is providing financial support for a UN project to promote reconciliation among Iraq’s rival ethnic and religious groups, the foreign ministry said Saturday.
Some three million euros ($3.75 million) will flow into the programme under an agreement signed in Baghdad Saturday by the German embassy and representatives of the UN mission in Iraq UNAMI.
The scheme is intended to promote dialogue and training courses for political representatives and local non-governmental organisations working for reconciliation in regions of ethnic conflict.
Among the areas targeted by the project is northern Iraq, where Kurdish, Turkmen and Arab groups are all staking claims to power. Minority Christians and Kurdish-speaking Yazidis have been affected by the dispute.
UNAMI, set up in 2007, has been providing training and equipment to the Ministry of National Dialogue in Baghdad.
- UN extends Iraq mission mandate - Jul 26, 2012
- Iraqi factions sign peace pact proposed by radical Shiite cleric - Dec 25, 2011
- Two dead in clashes between Iraqi and Kurdish forces in northern Iraq - Apr 25, 2011
- Suicide bomber kills eight in Iraq - Sep 07, 2009
- Iraqi nationals learn to make 'Jaipur Foot' - Sep 23, 2010
- 10 killed, 31 injured in two attacks in Iraq (Lead) - Aug 29, 2009
- After vote, India says it stands by Sri Lanka - Mar 22, 2012
- 9,000 Syrian refugees reach Iraq - Jul 22, 2012
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Hague praises Myanmar reforms - Jan 06, 2012
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- US to give $12 mn in aid for Syrians - Mar 16, 2012
- Turkish jets bomb targets in northern Iraq - Jun 21, 2010
- US withdrawal marks new moment in Iraq history: UN chief - Dec 21, 2011
- Baghdad talks may help resolve Iranian n-dispute: China - May 21, 2012
Tags: arab groups, baghdad, berlin, christians, dpa, ethnic conflict, financial aid, foreign ministry, german embassy, germany, national dialogue, non governmental organisations, northern iraq, political representatives, reconciliation project, religious groups, training courses, turkmen, unami, yazidis