Germany bans aid group linked to HamasJuly 13th, 2010 - 4:43 am ICT by IANS
Berlin, July 13 (IANS/AKI) Germany outlawed a charity group for having alleged links to Palestinian militant organisation Hamas, interior minister Thomas de Maiziere said.
Authorities believe the Frankfurt-based Internationale Humanitaere Hilfsorganisation (IHH) has been funnelling money to Hamas, which governs the Gaza Strip and is considered a terrorist organisation by the European Union, the United States and Israel.
“The IHH has, under the cover of humanitarian aid, supported Gaza Strip-based so-called social associations which are attributable to Hamas, for a long period of time and to a considerable financial extent,” de Maiziere said in a statement Monday.
“Hamas employs acts of violence against Israel and Israeli citizens and therefore compromises a peaceful settlement between the Israeli and Palestinian people,” the statement said.
Hamas took control of Gaza in 2007 and has since been blockaded by Israel.
- Two Palestinians hanged for collaborating with Israel - Jul 27, 2011
- Israel Navy intercepts Gaza-bound aid vessels - Nov 04, 2011
- Pope condemns Israeli raid on Gaza aid ships - Jun 02, 2010
- Israeli soldiers fired at Gaza-bound aid ships in self-defence, says inquiry - Jan 24, 2011
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Israel eases Gaza blockade - Jun 21, 2010
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Hamas foiling Gaza power crisis solution: Palestinian PM - Mar 26, 2012
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Israeli Navy kills four Gaza militants - Jun 07, 2010
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: acts of violence, aid group, aki, authorities, charity group, european union, extent, frankfurt, gaza strip, hamas, humanitarian aid, hv, ihh, interior minister, israeli citizens, militant organisation, peaceful settlement, period of time, social associations, terrorist organisation