Germany and India sign Olympic cooperation dealAugust 12th, 2008 - 11:43 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 12 (DPA) The German and Indian Olympic Committees (DOSB and IOA) have signed a cooperation agreement at the Beijing Games with Olympic education and youth programmes the top issues, the DOSB announced Tuesday. DOSB boss Thomas Bach and IOA head Suresh Kalmadi said the agreement was designed to bring new ideas to bilateral Olympic projects dating from the late 1980s and early 1990s.
The German know-how is intended to help India set up an Olympic Academy, which the country still lacks.
Youth sports is another big issue, with India later this year set to host the third Commonwealth Youth Games in Pune.
Olympic sports lag behind cricket in India, but could receive a boost after Abhinav Bindra won India’s first ever Olympic individual gold medal Monday, in the men’s air rifle event.
For the DOSB the memorandum is another part of its efforts to strengthen an international network. The DOSB has similar agreements with Senegal, Kenya, Japan and Saudi Arabia.
- Kalmadi mourns Digvijay Singh's death - Jun 24, 2010
- Sushil Kumar to be India's flag bearer at Olympics - Jul 15, 2012
- Narang aims for a medal at London olympics - Nov 03, 2011
- Indian sportspersons have gone to London thinking of gold - Jul 25, 2012
- Natasha Keller German flag bearer at opening ceremony - Jul 26, 2012
- Sushil Kumar named India's flag-bearer at London Olympics (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Cash award to Bindra for Asian shooting gold - Jan 18, 2012
- Abhinav Bindra takes athletes' oath at CWG opening ceremony - Oct 03, 2010
- IOA to take German expertise to improve sporting standard - Aug 13, 2008
- Maken lauds court's decision on Kalmadi - Jul 25, 2012
- Maken firm on aborting Kalmadi's London trip - Jul 15, 2012
- NRAI asks Olympic champion Bindra to attend National Games - Feb 17, 2011
- Now Kalmadi to sit in judgement on Bindra's selection (Lead) - Jan 18, 2010
- Beijing is past, I have to start afresh in London: Bindra - Jul 26, 2012
- India expecting first Asian Games medals from Bindra, Narang - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: 1980s, air rifle, beijing, boss, commonwealth youth games, cooperation agreement, cricket, early 1990s, gold medal, ioa, kenya, memorandum, olympic academy, olympic committees, olympic education, olympic projects, olympic sports, saudi arabia, thomas bach, youth sports