German experts to advise Egypt on securing Gaza borderJanuary 14th, 2009 - 9:13 am ICT by IANS
Berlin, Jan 14 (DPA) Technical experts from Germany’s federal police and interior ministry are to travel to Egypt in the coming days to help Egypt secure its border with the Gaza Strip, the state secretary in the ministry has said.August Hanning said late Tuesday the move would fulfill a request from the Egyptian government “to support securing Egypt’s border area with German expertise”.
One of Israel’s key demands for a ceasefire of its 18-day offensive into Gaza is destruction or closure of the tunnels underneath the Egyptian border used to smuggle weapons into Gaza for the militant Hamas.
Israel charges the rockets, which have an increasingly long reach into Israel, are supplied by Iran and smuggled across the Egyptian border.
Details of the German mission were not available. Sources close to the ministry said it could involve advice on either stopping the smuggling or setting up controls in the hinterland.
Active police help was not planned.
German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier indicated during his weekend visit to the Middle East that professionals from Germany’s police and customs departments would travel to the region within the current week.
The German government has also declared its readiness to participate in an international peacekeeping operation.
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Hamas says political motives behind Gaza's mounting energy crisis - Mar 21, 2012
- Egypt foils attempt to smuggle cement into Gaza - Jul 25, 2010
- Israeli defence minister, Mubarak meet in Egypt - Jan 27, 2010
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Israel allows new cars into Gaza for first time in four years - Sep 21, 2010
- Egypt discovers 17 smuggling tunnels to Gaza - Aug 11, 2010
- Israeli jets hit Hamas targets in Gaza, nine hurt - Jul 31, 2010
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
- Omar Suleiman Israel's favourite to replace Mubarak: WikiLeaks - Feb 08, 2011
- Thousands of Palestinians, aid cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 12, 2010
- Hamas foiling Gaza power crisis solution: Palestinian PM - Mar 26, 2012
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Israeli airstrikes wound 10 in Gaza - Mar 20, 2010
- Israeli jets strike Gaza smuggling tunnels - Feb 03, 2010
Tags: august hanning, border area, ceasefire, dpa, egyptian border, egyptian government, federal police, foreign minister, frank walter steinmeier, gaza strip, german experts, german foreign minister frank, german government, german mission, hamas, interior ministry, long reach, peacekeeping operation, state secretary, technical experts