German doctors apologise for Nazi tests on JewsMay 26th, 2012 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 26 (IANS) The German Medical Association has apologised for the sadistic experiments carried out by Nazi doctors on Jews, Daily Mail reported Saturday.
The body has admitted that many doctors under Nazi-rule during the Second World War were guilty of “scores of human rights violations”.
German doctors performed pseudo-scientific experiments on concentration camp inmates, including at Auschwitz.
They were also key to the Nazi’s programme of forced sterilisation or euthanasia of the mentally ill or others deemed “unworthy of life”.
In a statement made in Nuremberg this week, the German medical association said “these crimes were not the actions of individual doctors but involved leading members of the medical community”. The crimes should be taken as a warning for the future, it added.
Perhaps the most notorious Nazi doctor was Auschwitz medic Josef Mengele.
Known as the “Angel of Death”, he consigned arrivals to the gas chambers and carried out appalling medical experiments on Jews, most of whom died in agony without anaesthetic.
He escaped to Brazil at the end of the war and for decades was the most wanted Nazi war criminal. He died in 1979 after suffering a stroke while swimming, the Mail said.
- Joseph Mengele Documents Cited At Oswiecim - Mar 23, 2010
- Some Joseph Mengele documents found in a Warsaw house - Mar 23, 2010
- Documents Of The Cruel Nazi, Doctor Joseph Mengele, found in Poland - Mar 23, 2010
- Germany to pay over 50 million pounds to preserve World War II death camp - Dec 18, 2010
- Diary of Hitler's 'Angel of Death' to be auctioned in US - Feb 02, 2010
- Over 200 SS documents unearthed near Auschwitz - Mar 23, 2010
- World's most wanted Nazi held at 97 - Jul 19, 2012
- Blue-eyed twins in Brazilian town not proof of Nazi doctor's experiments - Nov 28, 2009
- Nazis conducted gruesome experiments on prisoners to further medical research - Dec 02, 2008
- Hitler's Nazi party financed 30% of WW II with stolen Jewish money - Nov 10, 2010
- Nazi medical tools to be auctioned - Feb 08, 2012
- Nazi''s "Angel of Death" Mengele ''created a town of twins in Brazil'' - Jan 22, 2009
- Nazi camp atrocities on display in Shanghai - Apr 19, 2012
- Pope recalls cruelty in Auschwitz Nazi camp - Jan 27, 2010
- Supreme Court clarifies on active, passive euthanasia - Mar 07, 2011
Tags: anaesthetic, angel of death, auschwitz, concentration camp inmates, daily mail, euthanasia, gas chambers, german doctors, german medical association, human rights violations, medical community, medical experiments, nazi doctor, nazi doctors, nazi rule, nazi war criminal, nuremberg, scientific experiments, second world war, sterilisation