German defender Mertesacker to extend contract with Werder BremenJune 23rd, 2008 - 5:31 pm ICT by IANS
Tenero (Switzerland), June 23 (DPA) German central defender Per Mertesacker has agreed a contract extension keeping him with Bundesliga side Werder Bremen until 2012. “Werder wants to achieve big things and so do I. It’s an ideal constellation and I am very happy,” he said.
Mertesacker, 23, who joined Werder from Hanover in 2006, is set to win his 48th cap for Germany in the Euro 2008 semi-final against Turkey in Basle Wednesday.
Germany’s team manager, Oliver Bierhoff, said at the team’s base in Tenero, Switzerland Sunday he was pleased with the agreement, which ends any potential disruptive speculation on the future of the player.
Mertesacker said: “The success here at Euro and the feeling that Werder definitely want to continue working with me is great.”
- German coach Loew drops Cacau from Euro 2012 squad - May 29, 2012
- We are not the favourites: German soccer coach - Jun 02, 2012
- Lahm to skipper Germany at World Cup; Neuer is keeper - May 28, 2010
- Bremen sign Dutch midfielder Eljero Elia till 2016 - Jul 11, 2012
- Mertesacker sustains eye injury, in doubt for Munich game - Sep 08, 2010
- Loew calls up Hunt and Mueller for friendlies - Nov 06, 2009
- Loew stays on as Germany's coach until Euro 2012 - Jul 20, 2010
- Czech defender Selassie joins Werder - Jun 22, 2012
- Captaincy row threatens German harmony, World Cup chances - Jul 06, 2010
- Nigerian striker Akpala joins Werder Bremen - Aug 24, 2012
- A young German team is one of the favourites (Group D team profile) - May 29, 2010
- German Bundesliga kicks off August 27 - Jun 27, 2012
- Germany reveal provisional squad for Euro 2012 - May 08, 2012
- Ballack will not join Germany captaincy debate - Jul 07, 2010
- Monchengladbach coach Lucien Favre extends contract - Jul 05, 2012