German cyclist Kloeden’s name crops up in doping probeDecember 20th, 2008 - 12:51 pm ICT by IANS
Hamburg, Dec 20 (DPA) German cyclist Andreas Kloeden has named in a possible doping scandal during the 2006 Tour de France event.Focus magazine suggested on its website Friday that Kloeden’s name was mentioned by Patrik Sinkewitz and his girlfriend when they were questioned by prosecutors around doping practices of T-Mobile team doctors from a Freiburg clinic.
Sinkewitz has admitted that he went from the Tour, which stopped in Strasbourg for a day, to nearby Freiburg for blood doping with the help of the doctors, during the 2006 race.
Kloeden, like Sinkewitz at the T-Mobile team at the time, was allegedly part of what has been dubbed the “Rhine Convoy” of T-Mobile riders from Strasbourg to Freiburg.
Kloeden has dismissed all doping accusations and never submitted a positive test. Several other T-Mobile riders, including Sinkewitz, have failed tests and others such as 1996 Tour champ Bjarne Riis admitted to substance abuse in the 1990s when the team was called Telekom.
Kloeden came second for T-Mobile at the 2004 and 2006 Tour de France races.
He joined Astana in 2007. The team was not invited to the 2008 Tour over its doping-tainted past. It now boasts the record seven-time Tour winner Lance Armstrong of the US and 2007 Tour winner Alberto Contador of Spain.
- Contador takes Tour of Spain title after serving doping ban - Sep 10, 2012
- Contador to focus on Tour de France in 2012 - Oct 01, 2011
- Stunning ride by Contador turns Vuelta on its head - Sep 06, 2012
- Tour de France winner Contador suspended due to doping case - Jan 27, 2011
- Tour de France champion cyclist Contador cleared of doping charges - Feb 16, 2011
- Tour de France winner Alberto Contador receives one-year doping ban - Jan 27, 2011
- Alberto Contador to lose his Tour de France title - Feb 06, 2012
- Former Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich banned for 2 years - Feb 09, 2012
- Rotterdam Gears Up For Tour De France - Jul 03, 2010
- Contador may face formal doping probe - Nov 10, 2010
- Contador clings on to retain Vuelta lead - Sep 09, 2012
- Astana looks to Armstrong for needed redemption - Jun 30, 2009
- Sports tribunal suspends Spanish cyclist - Feb 07, 2012
- Tour de France champion Contador suspended after failing drug test - Sep 30, 2010
- Kazakhstan's Vinokourov wins gold in Olympic road race - Jul 28, 2012