German arsonist jailed for seven yearsApril 4th, 2012 - 10:27 am ICT by IANS
Berlin, April 4 (IANS) A German found guilty of setting fire to over 100 cars in a serial arson attack has been sentenced to seven years in prison.
The 28-year-old defendant — known only as Andre H — was charged with burning down a total of 102 cars, most of which were luxury sedans, in Berlin during July-August 2011, Xinhua reported.
A court Tuesday attributed his criminal motivation to “frustration, jealousy and hatred of the society”.
The judge said the criminal’s “excessive aspiration for recognition” led him to commit the crime which caused widespread fear in the capital city and posed threat to human life, as the flames could have potentially spread to nearby residential buildings.
Andre H made a full confession to all the 86 cases of arson against him.
He said he had long been laid off and barely got a stable job.
“It was such a feeling of injustice that people can afford such expensive cars while he has only to be stuck in debt,” a lawyer was quoted as saying.
- Man held for damaging over 100 cars - Oct 24, 2011
- 12 police cars burnt down in Germany - Jan 24, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki's February sales up 15.5 percent - Mar 01, 2011
- Passenger car sales soar in China - Jun 08, 2012
- Volvo plan to sell stripped-down luxury sedans - Jul 22, 2011
- Honda's June sales down 24.80 percent - Jul 01, 2011
- Audi's January sales zoom 57 percent - Feb 04, 2011
- Now bid to meet Colin Firth - Nov 24, 2011
- Interest rates, fuel price hike dampen automobile sector (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2011
- Volvo launches sedan S60 in India - Mar 11, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki May sales up 1.9 percent - Jun 01, 2011
- North Korean robbed of $100,000 in Moscow - Jul 18, 2012
- Audi's April sales zoom 98 percent - May 05, 2011
- Mercedes relaunches premium car Maybach - Feb 01, 2011
- Audi begins A6 luxury sedan's production in India - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: april 4, arson attack, arsonist, aspiration, confession, defendant, expensive cars, flames, frustration, hatred, injustice, jealousy, lawyer, luxury sedans, motivation, residential buildings, setting fire, seven years, stable job, xinhua