Georgians Having A Tough Time As Atlanta Experiences Heavy Snow StormJanuary 10th, 2011 - 8:41 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
Jan 10, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Residents of Georgia are having a harsh time as several parts of the state have been steeped under a thick layer of snow due to the heavy snowfall that shook the state on Sunday night. Heavy snowfall and sleet on Sunday wreaked a major havoc after Atlanta’s downtown connector experienced a gridlock due to the nasty weather. As the snowfall descended upon Georgia, it went on to cover the city under the a heap of snow whose thickness has been measured as 5 inches. However, later on the snow levels are said to have increased.
No sooner was Atlanta affected by the heavy snow storm when news of accidents started pouring in. According to various sources, many accidents have already taken place in metro Atlanta. Several counties experienced the wintry chill as the unending snow fall continued for several hours. Meteorologists said that while areas north of Atlanta had roads blanketed by snow for 4-5 inches, those towards the south of the city experienced a snow layer of 1-2 inches. It was not only the road traffic that received a severe blow. In addition to it, the day saw the cancellations of a number of flights. According to reports, more than hundred flights were canceled at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport before the snow storm hit the city. Airlines on coming to know of the snow storm alarm had decided to take the precautions beforehand.
What added the tension was the sleet for even if snow can be plowed, ice certainly cannot be. Sonny Perdue, for whom Sunday night was the last as the Governor of Georgia was forced to issue out an emergency on Sunday night due to the heavy snow storm that meteorologists had already warned for.
- Gwinnett County Schools To Remain Closed On Monday Due To Bad Weather Conditions - Jan 10, 2011
- Former Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue Declares Emergency - Jan 10, 2011
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir, avalanche warning issued (With Images) - Jan 15, 2012
- Snowstorm storms upper Midwest - Feb 25, 2012
- Second Delta flight makes emergency landing in Atlanta - Nov 22, 2010
- New York blizzard: Residents asked to be patient amid chaos - Dec 29, 2010
- Heavy snowfall in Himachal throws life out of gear but cheers fruit farmers (Lead) (With Images) - Jan 09, 2012
- Washington, Philadelphia dig out from massive storm - Feb 08, 2010
- Fresh snowfall likely in Kashmir - Feb 12, 2012
- Snow storm leaves Washington battered, moves north (Lead) - Dec 20, 2009
- Heavy snowfall lashes Kashmir - Jan 15, 2012
- Icy Roads Prevent Virginia Schools From Conducting Classes - Dec 17, 2010
- Himachal expects snow, rain and intense cold wave - Jan 13, 2011
- School Closings in various states due to bad weather - Dec 09, 2009
- Frozen food manufacturer expands to Henry County, GA - Apr 23, 2010
Tags: atlanta international airport, city airlines, georgians, governor of georgia, harsh time, hartsfield jackson atlanta, hartsfield jackson atlanta international airport, heavy snow, heavy snowfall, madhuri, metro atlanta, nasty weather, road traffic, sleet, snow fall, snow layer, snow levels, snow storm, sonny perdue, thick layer