Georgia reluctant to restore relations with Russia (Lead)March 3rd, 2012 - 9:59 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Georgia will not restore diplomatic relations with Russia as long as Moscow recognises the independence of disputed regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia, deputy Georgian Foreign Minister Sergei Kapanadze has said.
Russia recognised Abkhazia and South Ossetia in 2008, following a five-day war with Georgia. The war began when Georgia attacked South Ossetia, where most residents are Russian passport holders. Russia’s decision has been condemned by many nations.
In response, Georgia, which considers the two regions part of its sovereign territory, broke off broke off diplomatic relations with Russia.
On Friday, Russian foreign ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said Moscow was ready to scrap visa requirements with Georgia and it was also ready to restore diplomatic relations with Tbilisi.
Lukashevich’s remarks followed Georgia’s decision to introduce visa-free travel for Russian citizens.
“We are ready to introduce a visa-free regime for Georgian citizens on a reciprocal basis,” Lukashevich said. “To that end, the Georgian side should ensure credible security guarantees for Russians visiting Georgia.”
“We also propose restoring diplomatic relations between our countries,” he said.
- Russia ready to restore diplomatic ties with Georgia - Mar 03, 2012
- Russia warns US on Georgia support - Jun 07, 2012
- Russia admitted to World Trade Organisation - Dec 17, 2011
- US Senate asks Russia to pull out from Abkhazia, South Ossetia - Jul 31, 2011
- Moscow says arrest of alleged Russian spies in Georgia part of "anti-Russian psychosis" - Nov 05, 2010
- South Ossetia to take Georgia's currency out of circulation - Dec 21, 2010
- South Ossetia to discuss Georgia's peace proposal in Geneva - Dec 09, 2010
- Georgia tells citizens travelling to Russia 'unsafe' - Jun 11, 2011
- Russia will maintain, not build up n-arsenal: Medvedev - Mar 05, 2010
- Russia deploys air defence system in Abkhazia - Aug 11, 2010
- 'Georgia recruiting refugees as sabotage activists' - Aug 28, 2010
- Russia warns citizens not to travel to Syria - Jun 21, 2012
- Moscow seeks US probe in adopted Russian girl's rape case - Jun 17, 2011
- Georgia sends peace proposals for Abkhazia and South Ossetia - Dec 08, 2010
- Murder accused held after 20 years on the run - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: abkhazia and south ossetia, diplomatic relations, foreign minister, foreign ministry spokesman, moscow, passport holders, reciprocal basis, recognises, regime, ria novosti, russia, russian citizens, russian foreign ministry, russian passport, russians, security guarantees, sovereign territory, tbilisi, visa free travel, visa requirements