George Washington’s library book returned 221 years lateMay 21st, 2010 - 1:35 pm ICT by IANS
New York, May 21 (IANS) A book borrowed by the first US president George Washington 221 years ago has been finally returned to the New York library.
Staff at the New York Society Library happily accepted a copy of “The Law of Nations” from members of George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate after they discovered he removed it from their collection Oct 5, 1789, but never brought it back.
Washington’s act went unnoticed until 1934, when a dog-eared ledger was found in the library’s basement.
Given the 221-year time lapse, he would have accrued an estimated inflation-adjusted $300,000 in late fees, New York Daily News reported.
“I hereby absolve George Washington and his representatives for any overdue library fees incurred,” said Charles Berry, New York Society Library’s chairman of the board of trustees.
“The library was not about to pursue a fine, but we were delighted to learn that a copy of this book was coming back to us,” he said while receiving the book Wednesday.
When Mount Vernon staff heard about the mishap, they immediately got to work finding another copy of the same edition, and found one online for about $12,000.
“We express our gratitude for your patience … and for your generosity in erasing the considerable funds that were probably owed by George Washington,” James Rees, executive director of Mount Vernon Estate, told library staff.
“He did not do his public duty.”
- Book issued by George Washington 221 years ago returned to library - May 20, 2010
- George Washington racks up $300K late fee for two library books! - Apr 17, 2010
- George Washington's constitution copy sold for $10 mn - Jun 23, 2012
- George Washington owes $300,000 in library fines - Apr 20, 2010
- $300,000 Library Book Fines In The Name Of The Earliest US President George Washington - Apr 20, 2010
- Woman returns book after 78 years - Sep 03, 2012
- George Washington Owes The New York Society Library $300,000 As Late Fine - Apr 20, 2010
- Unreturned library book found after 123 years - Dec 31, 2011
- Amazon planning an e-book rental service - Sep 13, 2011
- Brooklyn Law School fuming over steamy Diesel photo shoot - Nov 14, 2010
- Book returns to South Yorkshire library 45 years after it was borrowed! - Mar 19, 2010
- Obama pardons Thanksgiving turkeys 'Apple' and 'Cider' - Nov 25, 2010
- Oz man fined $5K for library book that's 19,350 days overdue - Nov 12, 2010
- Tucked away in library, a slice of freedom struggle - Mar 24, 2011
- Bush's new book 'Decision Points' sells like hotcakes - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: chairman of the board, george washington, james rees, late fees, law of nations, library book, library fees, library staff, mishap, mount vernon, new york daily news, new york library, new york society library, oct 5, overdue library, president george washington, s library, time lapse, us president george, york daily news