Geologists warn of another powerful quake in JapanMarch 22nd, 2011 - 1:17 pm ICT by ANI
Tokyo, Mar.22 (ANI): Geologists have warned that another earthquake could strike Japan as the one that struck the nation on March 11 had altered the earth’s surface.
The quake measuring nine on the Richter scale has put pressure on fault lines near Tokyo. According to experts, a 7.5 magnitude earthquake could hit the city.
The structure of the tectonic plates and fault lines around the city makes it unlikely that Tokyo would be hit by a quake anywhere near the intensity of the one 10 days ago, said Roger Musson of the British Geological Survey.
But because of the heavily populated capital and its surroundings, any strong tremor could be devastating.
“Even if you’ve got, let’s say, a 7.5, that would be serious,” the Daily Mail quoted Musson, as saying.
Japan is located on the Ring of Fire, an arc of volcanoes and fault lines spanning the Pacific Basin. This makes Japan is one of the world’s most seismically active area and earthquakes are common there.
The country accounts for nearly 20 per cent of the world’s earthquakes of magnitude 6 or more. (ANI)
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
- Dr. Roger Musson: Britain's overdue killer earthquake could kill hundreds - Sep 17, 2010
- Kashmir must ban construction in marshes, high slopes: Quake expert - Dec 15, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Low intensity quake shakes Kashmir - May 10, 2012
- Powerful quake rocks northern Japan, no casualties - Mar 09, 2011
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 01, 2011
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan - Aug 12, 2011
- Fukushima now more vulnerable to seismic risk - Feb 15, 2012
- 'Fault-finding' coral reefs can predict site of future earthquakes - Mar 22, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong quake strikes off eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 22, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- Disaster management operations on: Japan PM - Mar 11, 2011
- Quake jolts Indonesia, panic grips India (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: arc, british geological survey, daily mail, earth, earthquakes, fault lines, geologists, intensity, japan tokyo, magnitude earthquake, march 11, musson, pacific basin, powerful quake, richter scale, ring of fire, surroundings, tectonic plates, tremor, volcanoes