Geneva talks call for transitional government in SyriaJuly 1st, 2012 - 6:38 am ICT by IANS
Geneva, July 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The participants in the Geneva talks support creation of a transitional government in Syria in which all forces participate, UN and Arab League special envoy Kofi Annan said.
The transitional government should include members of the current government, the opposition and other groups, Annan said.
The actual make-up of the transitional government will depend on the Syrian people.
“We are determined to work together urgently and intensively, to bring an end to the violence and the human rights abuses and the launch of a Syrian-led political process leading to a transition that meets the legit aspiration of the Syrian people,” Annan said.
The new government must be formed on the basis of rule of law, he said.
The proposal is aimed at providing a path forward that would be supported by all Syrians and leading to a genuinely democratic and pluralistic state with free elections, respect for human rights and equal opportunity for all, Annan said.
The bloodshed must end and work toward settling the conflict must continue, he said.
In addition, the participants in the talks endorsed formation of a permanent working group, he said.
- Russia calls for UN monitors to stay in Syria - Aug 03, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- Syrian ceasefire first Step of Annan's plan: US - Apr 13, 2012
- Russia denies changing its stance on Syria - Jun 22, 2012
- Putin to meet Annan to discuss Syria crisis - Jul 16, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Syrian opposition to visit Moscow - Apr 05, 2012
- Both Syrian forces, rebels to blame for massacre: Russia - May 29, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- No arms to Syria opposition: France - Apr 20, 2012
- Russia urges new UN envoy to stick to Syria peace plan - Aug 18, 2012
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: arab league, aspiration, bloodshed, conflict, free elections, geneva, human rights abuses, human rights and equal opportunity, july 1, kofi annan, launch, opposition, participants, ria novosti, rule of law, support creation, syria, syrians, transitional government, working group