GE to invest Rs.300 crore in India research facilityJune 7th, 2012 - 7:17 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, June 7 (IANS) General Electric (GE) would invest an additional Rs.300 crore to expand the research and technology development facility in this tech hub and leverage the talent pool for its global operations, a top company official said Thursday.
“In addition to Rs.1,000 crore we have invested in the John F. Technology Centre here over the past decade, we will invest about Rs.300 crore this year to expand the R&D; facility,” GE India Chief Executive John Flannery announced at an event here.
As GE’s first and largest integrated multi-disciplinary R&D; facility outside the US, the centre focuses on innovation and development of new technologies, products and solutions in diverse industrial areas, including energy, healthcare and transportation.
“Though we have been present in India over a century, setting up the country’s first 4.5 megawatt hydro-electric power station in 1902 at Sivasamudram in the erstwhile Mysore state, we are delighted to be back here to leverage the eco-system and talent pool for our global operations,” Flannery said at the Global Investors’ Meet (GIM 2012), which got underway earlier in the day.
Set up in the name of its former chief executive Jack Welch, the centre has about 5,000 engineers and scientists working in multiple areas such as energy, lighting, water treatment, healthcare, aerospace and chemicals.
“The centre has filed about 1,500 global patents for the technologies and products developed by our bright engineers and scientists,” Flannery noted.
- GE bets on India; to hire 6,000 more - Sep 26, 2011
- Karnataka global investors' meet kicks off - Jun 07, 2012
- Hero Eco Group to invest Rs.500 crore in next 5 years - Dec 28, 2011
- Bosch to invest Rs.300 crore for capacity expansion - May 03, 2012
- General Electric to invest $200 million in India - Mar 14, 2011
- GE Healthcare to make more diagnostic devices in India (Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Once bitten, Karnataka not shy to woo investors again - Jun 06, 2012
- John Flannery appointed GE India chief - Oct 29, 2009
- GE Healthcare to invest $50 mn in India on new products - Mar 17, 2011
- 3M unveils Rs.100 crore research centre in Bangalore - Sep 23, 2011
- Bosch group to invest Rs.2,500 crore in India - Jun 02, 2011
- Strong growth prompts Bosch to invest more in India (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
- Italian firm Sogefi to expand capacity in India - Jul 06, 2012
- Silicon Image opens R&D; centre in Hyderabad - Feb 18, 2012
- Hitachi to build power control systems in India - Mar 23, 2012
Tags: crore, eco system, energy lighting, erstwhile, ge india, general electric, global investors, global operations, global patents, hydro electric power, india research, industrial areas, john flannery, leverage, megawatt, rs 1, talent pool, technology centre, technology development, water treatment