Gaza toll rises to 801January 10th, 2009 - 7:36 am ICT by IANS
Gaza, Jan 10 (Xinhua) The toll in the Israeli military operation in the Gaza Strip has risen to 801, officials said Friday.Israel launched massive air and ground assaults against the Islamic Hamas in Gaza Dec 27, in response to the continuous rocket attacks by the militants on its territory.
On Friday night, nine more people were killed in different parts of the salient as Israeli operation entered its 15th day.
Gaza emergency chief Mo’aweya Hassanein said at least 801 Palestinians were killed and 3,300 others wounded since the fighting started a fortnight ago. Among the dead include 230 children and 92 women, he added.
Earlier in the day, Israeli warplanes and tanks launched a series of air and ground attacks in central and northern Gaza Strip, killing at least 21 people and wounding 60 others, Hassanein said.
An UN Security Council Resolution earlier called for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza but Israel’s Cabinet Friday decided to continue the military operation.
- Ten wounded in Israeli strikes on Gaza - Nov 22, 2009
- Two killed in Israeli strike against Gaza - Jul 22, 2010
- Israeli warplanes strike in Gaza, five injured - Apr 02, 2010
- Israel bombs weapons factory, two tunnels in Gaza - Nov 19, 2009
- Two killed in Israeli air strikes on Gaza - Mar 05, 2009
- Israel increases pressure on Hamas with 60 airstrikes overnight - Jan 14, 2009
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Israel resumes air strikes on the Gaza Strip (Lead) - Dec 28, 2008
- Israel fires at two Palestinians on Gaza border - Jan 18, 2011
- Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in Gaza - Jan 12, 2011
- Israel's Gaza offensive enters second day, 271 killed (Third lead) - Dec 28, 2008
- US admonishes Israel, criticizes Hamas over attacks (Second lead) - Dec 28, 2008
- Israeli jets raid Gaza - Feb 12, 2012
- At least 50 killed in Gaza ground operation - Jan 04, 2009
- Israeli airstrikes wound 10 in Gaza - Mar 20, 2010