Gaza stops Palestinians from approaching Israel borderJune 5th, 2011 - 11:09 pm ICT by IANS
Gaza/Tel Aviv, June 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Police in Gaza had to set up checkpoints on the border with Israel Sunday to prevent Palestinian demonstrators marking the anniversary of the 1967 Six-Day War from clashing with the Israeli military, Palestinian media said.
Several hundred Palestinian demonstrators tried to break through toward the northern border between Gaza and Israel on the day marking the beginning of a third Arab-Israeli War. The march is now over and the demonstrators have all gone home.
The Palestinian Maan news agency said hundreds of Palestinians had tried to break into Jerusalem via the Qalandia checkpoint on the West Bank.
“The Israeli military had to fire several warning shots into the air and use tear gas grenades to dispel the demonstrators,” the press service of the Israeli army said.
Palestinian media said seven Palestinians had been wounded in the clashes near the Qalandia checkpoint. The Israeli military has not confirmed the reports.
The six-day war was fought June 5-10, 1967 between Israel and its Arab neighbours Jordan, Syria and Egypt.
The war resulted in Israel’s victory and brought the country control over Gaza, the Sinai Peninsula, the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Golan Heights. These territories have since remained the source of tension in the ongoing Arab-Israeli conflict.
- 12 Arabs killed for violating Golan Heights truce line - Jun 05, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- Palestinian group accuses Obama of u-turn - May 25, 2011
- Russia urges Israel to stop settlement expansion - Jun 09, 2012
- Israel rebuffs Obama's 1967 borders call - May 20, 2011
- UN chief urges restraint from Israel, Arab sides - May 16, 2011
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- At least 10 people killed, more than 100 injured in clashes along Israel's borders - May 15, 2011
- 3 injured, 7 arrested in clashes between Israeli troops and anti-wall protesters in West Bank - Jul 23, 2011
- Palestinian women protest in support of hunger striker - Mar 08, 2012
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- UN envoy slams Israel's plan for new housing in East Jerusalem - Aug 12, 2011
Tags: arab israeli conflict, arab israeli war, arab neighbours, checkpoint, checkpoints, clashes, east jerusalem, gaza, golan heights, israeli army, maan news agency, northern border, palestinian demonstrators, palestinian media, palestinians, ria novosti, sinai peninsula, tear gas grenades, warning shots, west bank