Gayle fined for breaching ICC code of conductApril 7th, 2008 - 3:24 pm ICT by admin
Dubai, April 7 (IANS) West Indies captain Chris Gayle has been fined 70 percent of his match fee for breaching the International Cricket Council (ICC) code of conduct for slow over rate during the second Test against Sri Lanka in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. Gayle breached Level 2.11 of the ICC code, which relates to unfair play due to his side bowling its overs too slowly. The team was found to have been six overs short of the required over-rate, an offence to which Gayle pleaded not guilty.
The other players in the West Indies team were each fined 35 percent of their match fees for the same offence.
The verdict was issued following a hearing conducted by ICC Match Referee Chris Broad after play concluded Sunday.
“During the hearing, neither the captain, coach nor manager was able to persuade me that the shortfall in overs was beyond their control or that the allowances permitted to teams by the match officials were not appropriate,” said Broad.
“I saw very little evidence that the West Indies team, after learning of their slow over-rate predicament, actually tried to speed things up. Therefore, they left me with little option but to enact this penalty,” he added.
The charge was brought by match officials Simon Taufel and Billy Bowden of the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Umpires.
If a player is found guilty of a Level 2, 3 or 4 offence then he has a right of appeal. Such an appeal must be lodged in writing with the ICC’s legal counsel within 24 hours of the player receiving the original verdict.
- India fined for slow over-rate in second Test - Jul 03, 2011
- West Indies fined for slow over-rate in Barbados - May 11, 2010
- Tim Bresnan reprimanded, Strauss fined for slow over-rate against India - Feb 28, 2011
- Pakistan fined for slow over rate against Sri Lanka - Feb 27, 2011
- Dhoni, Indian team fined for slow over-rate - Jul 22, 2012
- Bresnan reprimanded for breaching ICC Code of Conduct - Feb 28, 2011
- Sammy slapped with fine for Windies slow over-rate - May 23, 2012
- Pollard, Proteas fined for breaching ICC Code of Conduct - May 22, 2010
- Pakistan captain Misbah suspended from Galle Test - Jun 19, 2012
- India fined for slow over-rate in Cape Town Test - Jan 06, 2011
- West Indies fined for slow over rate in T20 against Pak - Apr 23, 2011
- Tim Bresnan reprimanded, England fined - Feb 28, 2011
- Dhoni banned 1 match for slow over rate - Feb 19, 2012
- Australia fined for slow over-rate in Mohali ODI - Nov 03, 2009
- India fined for slow over rate - Aug 29, 2010
Tags: billy bowden, captain chris, chris gayle, code of conduct, elite panel, international cricket council, legal counsel, offence, port of spain, port of spain trinidad, port of spain trinidad and tobago, predicament, referee, second test, shortfall, simon taufel, trinidad and tobago, umpires, unfair play, west indies team