Gayatri Mantra opened University of Nevada ‘Inner-Faith Night’ celebrationsFebruary 25th, 2011 - 11:23 am ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), Feb 25 (ANI): ‘Second Annual Inner-Faith Night’ of University of Nevada-Reno (UNR) on February 23 saw various religious groups coming together in dialogue.
This unity celebration included dialogue among Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Jew, Native American, Baha’i, and Atheist traditions. UNR Unity Commission hosted it.
Distinguished Hindu statesman Rajan Zed opened the event with an invocation, reading from ancient Hindu texts Rig-Veda (oldest existing scripture of the world), Upanishads and Bhagavad-Gita. Brother Matthew Cunningham, Chancellor of Roman Catholic Diocese of Reno, concluded it with a Catholic prayer.
Participants included Pastor Phil Vana (Protestant), Brother Matthew Cunningham (Roman Catholic), Imam Abdul Rahim Barghouthi (Muslim), Esteban Castillo (Buddhist), Rabbi Teri Appleby (Jewish), Ben Aleck (Native American spirituality), Dr. Bradley S. Corbin (Baha’i), Joe Ferguson (atheist), Shirley Diaz (UNR Campus Unity Director), and Dr. Carina Black (Northern Nevada International Center). Choir of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints gave a performance. Audience asked questions to the religious leaders present.
Coordinator of the event, UNR Unity Commissioner Tawheeda Wahabzada, says that Commission plans to continue this annual tradition where students, area clergy belonging to various religions and denominations, and others can come together and seek unity that celebrates diversity.
Rajan Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism and who helped coordinate this event, points out that dialogue brings us mutual enrichment and helps us overcome prejudices passed on to us by previous generations. (ANI)
- Christians-Muslims-Hindus-Buddhists-Jews-Baha'is to dialogue at University of Nevada-Reno - Feb 11, 2011
- Christians-Muslims-Hindus-Buddhists-Jews-Baha'i to pray together at University of Nevada-Reno - Feb 23, 2010
- "Faith Forum" of a Pulitzer winner newspaper to be lead by Rajan Zed - Feb 07, 2011
- Mantras from Rig-Veda read at University of Nevada-Reno "Inner-Faith Night" celebrations - Mar 05, 2010
- Nevada Religious Freedom & Unity Day opened with Hindu invocation - Sep 21, 2010
- Nevada observes 25th Thanksgiving with Christian-Muslim-Hindu-Buddhist-Jewish-Baha'i prayers - Nov 26, 2010
- American university holds unique one-of-a-kind-in-the-world Hindu Baccalaureate Service - Apr 19, 2011
- Unique Hindu Baccalaureate Service enters fourth year at Nevada University - Apr 15, 2011
- American university holds one-of-a-kind Hindu baccalaureate - Apr 14, 2010
- Sanskrit shlokas formed part of northwestern Nevada Thanksgiving service - Nov 28, 2009
- Unique Hindu Baccalaureate Service enters third year at University of Nevada - Mar 22, 2010
- Hindu prayer recited at Catholic youth rally in Nevada - Mar 06, 2011
- Religious leaders come together for Interfaith Sunrise Prayer Service for World Peace in Nevada - Sep 13, 2010
- Gayatri Mantra read at Baha'i Ridvan Festival in Nevada - May 03, 2011
- Catholic-Hindu-Muslim-Protestant-Buddhist-Jewish leaders connect in dialogue in Nevada - Jan 09, 2011
Tags: abdul rahim, american baha, ancient hindu, campus unity, hindu statesman, hindu texts, jesus christ of latter day saints, joe ferguson, latter day saints, matthew cunningham, muslim hindu, mutual enrichment, native american spirituality, night celebrations, rajan zed, rig veda, roman catholic diocese, universal society, university of nevada reno, unr campus