Gay rights groups slam Apple for approving ‘gay cure’ appMarch 20th, 2011 - 4:27 pm ICT by ANI
New York, March 20 (ANI): Gay rights activists have slammed Apple after it approved an app by a religious organization that seeks to help gay people become straight.
According to the Huffington Post, the app- Exodus International- created by a ministry with the same name received a “4″ rating from Apple, which means the company has “no objectionable material,” reports the New York Daily News.
The app is targeted at “homosexual strugglers” and allows users to learn more about Exodus, which maintain people have a choice to be gay and can choose not to be.
On its website, Exodus International said the program is designed to be a “useful resource for men, women, parents, students, and ministry leaders.”
“Exodus is committed to encouraging, educating and equipping the Body of Christ to address the issue of homosexuality with grace and truth,” the organisation said in the app’s description.
Change.org has created an online petition demanding the iTunes store stop supporting homophobia and remove the Exodus app. By Saturday afternoon, it garnered 29,541 signatures.
“This new iPhone app is the latest move in Exodus’ dangerous new strategy of targeting youth,” wrote gay rights advocate group Truth Wins Out.
“In light of the recent wave of LGBT youth suicides, this tactic is particularly galling as it creates, legitimizes, and fuels the ostracism of LGBT youth by their families,” the group said.
Apple has not commented on the controversy. (ANI)
- Chinese downloads 25 billionth app - Mar 06, 2012
- Started with borrowed money, Apple becomes world's No. 1 company - Aug 11, 2011
- Thousands Pledge To Wear Purple To Honor Gay Teens - Oct 20, 2010
- Protests over Russian 'gay propaganda' bill - Dec 27, 2011
- Need for inclusion, acceptance of gay community: Activists - Dec 23, 2011
- Activists slam government's stand on gay sex - Feb 23, 2012
- Under fire for MSM comment, Azad clarifies stand (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Government's flip-flop on gay sex ban (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Russian gays challenge bill in court - Apr 03, 2012
- Campaigning for gay rights with Hillary Clinton - Jul 02, 2011
- News Corps' iPad Only Paper 'The Daily' Launches Wednesday - Jan 29, 2011
- Goa wants slice of LGBT tourism pie - Oct 19, 2011
- iPhone app for church confessions - Feb 09, 2011
- 'Hot' model sues app-maker, Apple for posting 'steamy' pics on Internet - Oct 25, 2010
- Apple removes spam message app from App Store - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: body of christ, description change, exodus international, gay rights activists, gay rights groups, grace and truth, homophobia, homosexuality, huffington post, iphone, ministry leaders, new strategy, new york daily news, objectionable material, online petition, ostracism, religious organization, saturday afternoon, york daily news, youth suicides