Gates criticizes Chinese military for blocking talks in BeijingJune 4th, 2010 - 3:29 pm ICT by ANI
Singapore, June 4 (ANI): US Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates on Thursday accused China’s military of impeding relations with the Pentagon, taking exception to its unwillingness to invite him to Beijing during his trip to Asia this week.Gates told reporters here there was a clear split between China’s political leaders, whom he said want stronger military ties with Washington, and the People’s Liberation Army, which he said does not.
“I think they are reluctant to engage with us on a broad level. The PLA is significantly less interested in this relationship than the political leadership of China,” the Washington Post quoted him as saying before his arrival in Singapore.Beijing’s political and economic relations with Washington have gradually improved in recent years, but military cooperation has lagged.
This has been a source of frustration for Pentagon officials.
They say that communication with the People’s Liberation Army needs to improve to deal with regional crises — such as South Korea’s accusation that one of its warships was torpedoed by a North Korean submarine last month, and to broader strategic issues such as the long-term buildup of China’s military forces. (ANI)
- China, Russia hold joint naval exercise - Apr 22, 2012
- China prepares for hi-tech modern warfare - Apr 23, 2011
- `Chinese military diplomacy to reduce India's concerns' - Sep 04, 2012
- India's rising clout worries China as it builds military might: US report - Aug 17, 2010
- 'US seeks to bridge military relations with China despite 'J-20 stealth fighters' revelations' - Jan 09, 2011
- China developing high-tech weaponry and equipment: White Paper - Mar 31, 2011
- India-China defence dialogue resumed; border mechanism gets a push - Dec 09, 2011
- China, US agree to reduce "miscalculation" risk between two armed forces - Jan 11, 2011
- Australia urged to dramatically boost military might to face 'rising' China challenge - Feb 05, 2011
- China declines supporting cyber attackers - Mar 30, 2012
- China, US trade barbs over military ties - Jun 07, 2010
- US will counter China's military build-up: Gates - Jan 09, 2011
- High expectations from Chinese minister's India trip: Daily - Sep 05, 2012
- Pentagon voices alarm over China's military build up - Aug 17, 2010
- US underestimated China's military modernization: Gates - Jan 10, 2011
Tags: accusation, beijing, economic relations, liberation army, military cooperation, military forces, military ties, pentagon, pentagon officials, pla, political leaders, political leadership, regional crises, secretary robert, source of frustration, south korea, trip to asia, us defense secretary, warships, washington post