Gambhir’s innings takes Daredevils to No.1 spot (Lead)May 6th, 2009 - 2:02 am ICT by IANS
Durban, May 6 (IANS) An unbeaten 71 from opener Gautam Gambhir propelled Delhi Daredevils to the top of the Indian Premier League (IPL) after a nine-wicket win over bottom placed Kolkata Knight Riders at the Kingsmead here Tuesday.
Knight Riders slumped to their seventh overall and fifth consecutive loss despite putting up a competitive 153 for three in 20 overs, thanks to Morne van Wayk’s 74 off 48 balls.
Poor fielding again let down Knight Riders as they floored three easy catches and missed an easy run out that allowed Gambhir and Tillakaratne Dilshan (42 not out) take Daredevils to 157 for one in 19 overs.
Wayward bowling also compounded Knight Riders’ miseries. Ishant Sharma and Ajit Agarkar found themselves at the receiving end of Gambhir’s blade while Murali Karthik was the only bowler to command some respect, giving away just 18 runs from his four overs.
After deciding to bat, Knight Riders skipper Brendon McCulllum (35) and Van Wyk set the tone with their 58-run opening wicket stand.
McCullum, who was going through a rough patch, took his time after being troubled by Dirk Nannes. But slowly the Kiwi batsman looked to get back his rhythm by hitting Nannes for two sixes and one four in a 21-run third over.
Van Wyk was in good touch and clobbered 11 fours in his 48-ball innings. Along with Brad Hodge (10), Van Wyk took Knight Riders to a good place after the 10th over. But Hodge’s dismissal slowed down the run rate.
Moises Henriques (30 not out) and Van Wyk then slashed 49 runs in the next few overs to take Knight Riders to a good total. But some tight bowling by Nannes and the outstanding Ashish Nehra kept Knight Riders to 153 in 20 overs.
Leading the side in the absence of Virender Sehwag, the onus was on Gambhir to give Delhi Daredevils a good start. With David Warner (36), Gambhir gave Daredevils an explosive start that set up the win.
The win was Daredevils fifth from seven matches and they are now sitting at the top, followed by Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals in the second and third spot respectively.
- Knight Riders go on top with six-wicket win over Daredevils (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Knight Riders beat Daredevils, qualify for main IPL final(lead) - May 23, 2012
- Knight Riders decimate Kings XI, move atop IPL table - May 01, 2011
- Knight Riders cruise to five-wicket win over Chargers (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Daredevils set Knight Riders 154-run target - May 07, 2012
- Knight Riders still have a long way to go: Gambhir - May 08, 2012
- Giant-killers Tuskers tame Knight Riders by 17 runs (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Gayle fury sweeps away Kolkata Knight Riders (Lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- Knight Riders edge past Warriors by 7 runs (Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Kolkata Knight Riders outclass Delhi Daredevils (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Deccan Chargers stay on to defend title, knock out Daredevils (Lead) - Apr 19, 2010
- Daredevils pace attack has blossomed under Simmons: Morkel - May 05, 2012
- Daredevils crush Knight Riders in Kolkata (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- Gambhir on rampage, but Knight Riders restricted to 158/6 (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Gambhir, Kallis power Knight Riders to an easy win - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: ajit agarkar, ashish nehra, david warner, fifth consecutive loss, gambhir, henriques, ipl, karthik, kingsmead, knight riders, mccullum, miseries, moises, onus, rough patch, tuesday knight, two sixes, van wyk, virender sehwag, wicket