Gagan Narang wins World Cup goldApril 15th, 2009 - 4:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) Rifle-shooter Gagan Narang Wednesday won the gold in the three position event in the Chongwon World Cup in South Korea, becoming the first Indian to win two medals in a single ISSF World Cup.
Gagan, who had won the bronze in his pet 10 metres air rifle event Friday, shot 1166 in the qualification round and 98 in the final, including two perfect 10s, to finish with a total of 1264 points for the gold.
Gagan shot 395 in prone, 382 in standing and 389 while kneeling in the qualification round for his tally of 1166.
According to reports received here, the 25-year-old Indian had to counter strong winds to win his fifth World Cup medal.
“The conditions were worse today. It was too windy and I had a tough time in adjusting to it,” Gagan told IANS over phone from Chongwon where the ISSF (International Shooting Sport Federation) World Cup competitions are underway.
South Korean Jinseop Han won the silver with a total score of 1261.9 (1165 qualifying+96.9 final) while the bronze went to Russian Alexei Kamenski, who shot a total of 1261.7 (1167 qualifying+94.7 final).
Among other Indians in the fray, Navy man Sanjeev Rajput finished sixth with 1258.7 (1160+98.7) while Sushil Ghalay couldn’t qualify for the finals as he finished 11th with a qualifying score of 1155.
- Weight loss helps Gagan to win World Cup gold (Lead) - Apr 15, 2009
- Bindra gets India eighth quota place for the 2012 Games - Jun 18, 2011
- CWG shooting: Men get two more gold, women bronze (Roundup) - Oct 09, 2010
- Olympic: Narang misses 50m rifle prone qualification, Karmakar in - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan Narang opens medal count with bronze (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Asian Games shooting: Bronze for Vijay, Narang misses medal by a whisker (Second Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
- Olympic shooting: Karmakar finishes fourth in 50m rifle prone (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Shooter Rahi Sarnobat books London Olympics berth - May 19, 2011
- Asian Games shooting: Bronze for Vijay, rifle shooters disappoint (Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
- Shooter Narang opens medal count for India, wins bronze (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Manavjit Sandhu, Imran Hassan qualify for London Olympics - Jan 22, 2012
- Olympics: Vijay Kumar gives India second medal from the ranges (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Curtains over India's successful campaign (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Bindra wins silver in Asian Airgun Championship - Oct 19, 2011
- Shooters swell Indian gold kitty (Roundup) - Oct 06, 2010
Tags: air rifle, fifth world cup, ghalay, gold, indians, issf, medals, narang, navy man, New Delhi, perfect 10s, rifle shooter, score, shooting sport, south korea, south korean, sport federation, strong winds, tally, world cup competitions